Damon Albarn Says Sorry To Australia For Blur’s Big Day Out Cancellation
By Anne Lu | April 24, 2014 4:49 PM EST
Damon Albarn is apologising to Australians for Blur’s cancelled Big Day Out appearance. The British musician also denied festival promoter AJ Maddah’s claim that the group backed out because they had a falling out in South America.
Blur were supposed to headline the Australian-New Zealand music festival in January, but announced the cancellation of their BDO appearance in November, blaming the organisers for their “constantly shifting goalposts and challenging conditions.”
Albarn previously explained that BDO was supposed to be the band’s last show together, but the organisers weren’t “being straight” with him about things; hence, he became disillusioned.
He apologised to his Kiwi fans for pulling out of the festival, hoping that they would still support him while he embarks on a solo career.
“I’d really love to do that [play in New Zealand], but only if people want me to come back and play,” he had told the NZ Herald in March. “I know there might be a bit of animosity still, but if I am forgiven, yes I will be back. That’s a promise!”
And now he is apologising to the Aussie fans he had let down when Blur withdrew from BDO.
In an interview with News Corp, he also clarified his first remarks that Blur was disbanding and that the BDO would have been the members’ last time to play together.
“It’d be ridiculous to say that Blur will never tour again,” he said. “I’d hate to think that was the last time in my life I’ll ever play with Blur. The Big Day Out was going to be the last gig of that particular period of touring with Blur.”
Blur finished their touring schedule in Japan instead, rather than go straight to Australia in January.
He further explained, “We didn’t want the Blur shows to be in any way affected by what we felt was a badly organised event. We made that decision, and it wasn’t an easy decision to make, that it would be better to stop in Tokyo and finish on a very high note than to risk it.
“Blur is a very precious thing to us. If we’re ever going to do it again we want to have left it on a really high note. And that was the reason. It was so that in the future Blur will be able to tour again that we made that decision about the Big Day Out.”
However, earlier in April, Maddah claimed that the band pulled out because they were “having fisticuffs on tour in South America. And that’s why they cancelled the tour because they don’t want to see each other,”
Maddah told The Vine, “Damon has a solo record coming out. The other three members were desperate to come out. You know Graham [Coxon, Blur guitarist] and the other guys wanted to do it. Essentially, Damon cancelled the tour.”
Albarn only said of Maddah’s claim, “That’s utter nonsense.”
The “other guys” Maddah referred to were bassist Alex James and drummer Dave Rowntree.
Albarn is set to release his solo album “Everyday Robots” on April 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers