Benji Marshall Ready to Return to NRL
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 24, 2014 3:35 PM EST
New Zealand rugby league captain Benji Marshall is all set to return to NRL after Blues confirmed his early release from the team.
The news came into light after Marshall met with the Blues coach Sir John Kirwan following the loss to Hurricane on Friday at Wellington.
Marshall further attended the media in Auckland on Wednesday to clarify the detailed discussion he had with coach Kirwan.
"It was a pretty tough meeting (with Kirwan) but we both agreed that it wasn't working the way we wanted it to ... I think it was pretty courageous to stand up and say this isn't working out," Marshall said.
Marshall did not clarify which NRL club he was going to join. He also told his manager that he did not want to approach any new negotiations until the formalities with Blues are met. Media reports, however, suggest that Marshall may join Cronulla.
"It's pretty funny, it's hard to join the Sharks without talking to them," Marshall added.
Marshall also ruled out any possibility to join his former team Wests Tigers after he walked out at the end of last season.
"I've still got a massive soft spot for the Tigers but it would be rude of me to think I can just go back there with how good they're going and the young guys they've got," Marshall added.
Meanwhile, the chief executive officer of Tigers, Grant Mayer, spoke about the loss of Marshall from the team.
"Benji has been an amazing servant of the Wests Tigers for a number of years and whilst it was difficult to see him leave the club, we have absolutely no ambition to stop him from coming back to the game of rugby league," Mayer added.
Marshall also admitted his struggle with the 15-man code mainly because of his experience playing rugby with a 14-man team.
"I was playing like I was a rugby league player playing with 14 rugby players ... Those habits that I have have just become second nature ... that's probably why I haven't played a lot ... There's a lot more better players than what I am," Marshall concluded
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys