Earlier iPhone 6 Release Date on Q3 2014 Confirmed by Leaked Metal Casing & Display Glass Details – Reports
By Erik Pineda | April 24, 2014 2:43 PM EST
More voices were added to the snowballing iPhone 6 discourse, its 2014 release date supposedly gaining more ground as a new render and fresh details defining the hotly-anticipated handset came out.
Reports coming from Taiwan have indicated that the country's Catcher Technology will play a crucial role for Apple to clear 70 million iPhone 6 units by the end of 2014. Catcher, according to BGR, has been contracted by the tech giant volume produce the metal housing that will be used in assembling the next iPhone.
It is understood that production activities for the iPhone 6 have now shifted to the ramp up mode and the Taiwanese is thought to benefit from its lucrative Apple contract, particularly in the third quarter of this year.
Morgan Stanley analyst Grace Chen has predicted that Catcher will supply some 15 per cent of the overall iPhone 6 casing that Apple will require. That should comprise "27 per cent of the company's third-quarter sales and 38 per cent of its fourth quarter sales," Chen was reported by BGR as saying.
Noting too of the ramped up production for the iPhone 6, BGR added that the notion of an earlier release date for the iPhone 5S sequel appears to be firming up. The assessment is in line with the recent forecast provided by Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities - that the 2014 iPhones, there will be two models, could come out in advance relative to last year's debut.
Also, Barclays Capital, the same BGR report said, seems in agreement that unboxing of the next iPhone model will happen in the early part of Q3 2014. Again, the investment firm based its evaluation on the Apple-Catcher partnership that was first reported by major Taiwanese publications.
Aligned as well with this latest development is the new report from Apple Insider - that the iPhone maker is ditching the smartphone's familiar squared profile, started in the iPhone 4, in favour of slightly rounded edges. The same modification will necessitate the use of curved display glass on the front panel.
"It seems like the top glass will not feature a convex face, but rounded edges to sit flush with the chassis," said the Apple Insider report, highlighting what looks like as a major makeover for the iPhone 6 outward build.
In order to visualise the changes, the same report pointed to the Galaxy S3 that Samsung has issued in 2012 as a likely pattern of an iPhone 6 that is with curved body accents.
In pinpointing the earlier iPhone 6 release date, Kuo offered that it could happen between late August and early September 2014, which is for the regular 4.7-inch version as the phablet-size 5.5-inch model is not expected to arrive until December of the same year, at the earliest.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies