Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/24/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 24, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The Australian share market continues to trade at near six year highs in the early session, despite a negative lead from Wall Street. Investor sentiment has been boosted however by strong earnings reports from Facebook and Apple in the US, after the bell, which has sent both companies' share prices higher in after-hours trade.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index is up 0.2 per cent, after closing yesterday at its best level since June 2008.
In company news, Resmed in the healthcare sector is higher by 3.7 per cent to $5.29 after delivering record revenue in the March quarter, up 3 per cent to US$398M. Earnings rose by six per cent.
Also in the healthcare sector, shares in Ramsay Health Care (RHC) are lower by one per cent to $45.51 after the company confirmed Chair Paul Ramsay is in hospital in a serious condition.
Bank of Queensland (BOQ) shares are trading without rights to their 32c dividend, sending the company's share price lower by 40c or 3.1 per cent to $12.70.
Material stocks remain well supported today. Shares in Atlas Iron (AGO) are firmer by 4.2 per cent to 99.5c after the company announced record iron ore shipment in the March quarter, although production was down slightly to 2.3 million tonnes.
Transurban (TCL) shares will remain in a trading halt until next Thursday, after a consortium led by the company agreed to acquire Queensland Motorways from the state government for $7.06 billion, above expectations.TCL last traded at $7.27.
So far on the market, 658 million shares have changed hands, with a value of $3.1 billion. 428 are higher, 279 are lower and 315 are unchanged.
Across the Asian region, Japan's NIKKEI Index is lower by 0.1 per cent in the morning session, while the Shanghai Composite in China is weaker by 0.2 per cent.
The Australian dollar a touch higher for US92.92c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports