Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/24/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 24, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The Australian share market continues to trade at near six year highs in the early session, despite a negative lead from Wall Street. Investor sentiment has been boosted however by strong earnings reports from Facebook and Apple in the US, after the bell, which has sent both companies' share prices higher in after-hours trade.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index is up 0.2 per cent, after closing yesterday at its best level since June 2008.
In company news, Resmed in the healthcare sector is higher by 3.7 per cent to $5.29 after delivering record revenue in the March quarter, up 3 per cent to US$398M. Earnings rose by six per cent.
Also in the healthcare sector, shares in Ramsay Health Care (RHC) are lower by one per cent to $45.51 after the company confirmed Chair Paul Ramsay is in hospital in a serious condition.
Bank of Queensland (BOQ) shares are trading without rights to their 32c dividend, sending the company's share price lower by 40c or 3.1 per cent to $12.70.
Material stocks remain well supported today. Shares in Atlas Iron (AGO) are firmer by 4.2 per cent to 99.5c after the company announced record iron ore shipment in the March quarter, although production was down slightly to 2.3 million tonnes.
Transurban (TCL) shares will remain in a trading halt until next Thursday, after a consortium led by the company agreed to acquire Queensland Motorways from the state government for $7.06 billion, above expectations.TCL last traded at $7.27.
So far on the market, 658 million shares have changed hands, with a value of $3.1 billion. 428 are higher, 279 are lower and 315 are unchanged.
Across the Asian region, Japan's NIKKEI Index is lower by 0.1 per cent in the morning session, while the Shanghai Composite in China is weaker by 0.2 per cent.
The Australian dollar a touch higher for US92.92c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World