Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/24/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 24, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The Australian share market continues to trade at near six year highs in the early session, despite a negative lead from Wall Street. Investor sentiment has been boosted however by strong earnings reports from Facebook and Apple in the US, after the bell, which has sent both companies' share prices higher in after-hours trade.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index is up 0.2 per cent, after closing yesterday at its best level since June 2008.
In company news, Resmed in the healthcare sector is higher by 3.7 per cent to $5.29 after delivering record revenue in the March quarter, up 3 per cent to US$398M. Earnings rose by six per cent.
Also in the healthcare sector, shares in Ramsay Health Care (RHC) are lower by one per cent to $45.51 after the company confirmed Chair Paul Ramsay is in hospital in a serious condition.
Bank of Queensland (BOQ) shares are trading without rights to their 32c dividend, sending the company's share price lower by 40c or 3.1 per cent to $12.70.
Material stocks remain well supported today. Shares in Atlas Iron (AGO) are firmer by 4.2 per cent to 99.5c after the company announced record iron ore shipment in the March quarter, although production was down slightly to 2.3 million tonnes.
Transurban (TCL) shares will remain in a trading halt until next Thursday, after a consortium led by the company agreed to acquire Queensland Motorways from the state government for $7.06 billion, above expectations.TCL last traded at $7.27.
So far on the market, 658 million shares have changed hands, with a value of $3.1 billion. 428 are higher, 279 are lower and 315 are unchanged.
Across the Asian region, Japan's NIKKEI Index is lower by 0.1 per cent in the morning session, while the Shanghai Composite in China is weaker by 0.2 per cent.
The Australian dollar a touch higher for US92.92c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown