Movies to Watch: ‘The Giver,’ the Next ‘Hunger Games’ or ‘Divergent’ Blockbuster Hit
By Maychelle Ornos | April 24, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Perhaps 2014 is the year of Dystopian films with "Divergent" becoming a blockbuster hit during its release and the upcoming "The Hunger Games' Mockingjay," another film of the same genre is set to hit theaters on August 15, "The Giver."
"The Giver" is a movie adaptation of the Lois Lowry's 1993 bestseller book which has sold more than 5 million copies and a recipient of the Newbery Medal. The plot is set in a utopian society where no pain or war exists except a predominance of a state of sameness. However, a boy becomes the "receiver of memory." He is the one who keeps the memory of the past before a new order comes. In the end, the boy becomes confused as to moving on with the status quo.
This upcoming movie has a lot of similarities with "Divergent" only that the former stars award-winning celebrities like Meryl Streep (acing the role of Chief Elder) and Jeff Bridges ("The Giver"). Also in the cast of is Katie Holmes, Alexander Skarsgard and country singer Taylor Swift (playing the role of Rosemary). "The Giver" is directed by Phillip Noyce and will be distributed by The Weinstein Company.
The star of the film will be played by Brenton Thwaites, an Australian actor who was rumoured to have a relationship with Taylor Swift. With a powerhouse casting plus a popular literature among young adults, many expects that it can exceed the blockbuster hit, according to the Wall St. Cheat Sheet. However, some critics are still in doubt of this especially that "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games" are action-packed narratives.
"The Giver," on the other hand, is more of a philosophical dramatic work. Hence, readers of the book can expect that "a lot of colours" will be added to spice up the film's story line, according to actor Jeff Bridges during his interview with Entertainment Weekly.
Bridges also revealed that the author is not so concerned about the alterations. He said that "the spirit of the story" is more important for Lowry than living up to the facts written in the book.
Now that "The Giver" is set for its released soon, a lot of young adults are getting excited for yet another trip to Dystopia, a lavish destination towards the future. Fans of the "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games" franchise may want to stay tuned with this latest buzz.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand