Movies to Watch: ‘The Giver,’ the Next ‘Hunger Games’ or ‘Divergent’ Blockbuster Hit
By Maychelle Ornos | April 24, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Perhaps 2014 is the year of Dystopian films with "Divergent" becoming a blockbuster hit during its release and the upcoming "The Hunger Games' Mockingjay," another film of the same genre is set to hit theaters on August 15, "The Giver."
"The Giver" is a movie adaptation of the Lois Lowry's 1993 bestseller book which has sold more than 5 million copies and a recipient of the Newbery Medal. The plot is set in a utopian society where no pain or war exists except a predominance of a state of sameness. However, a boy becomes the "receiver of memory." He is the one who keeps the memory of the past before a new order comes. In the end, the boy becomes confused as to moving on with the status quo.
This upcoming movie has a lot of similarities with "Divergent" only that the former stars award-winning celebrities like Meryl Streep (acing the role of Chief Elder) and Jeff Bridges ("The Giver"). Also in the cast of is Katie Holmes, Alexander Skarsgard and country singer Taylor Swift (playing the role of Rosemary). "The Giver" is directed by Phillip Noyce and will be distributed by The Weinstein Company.
The star of the film will be played by Brenton Thwaites, an Australian actor who was rumoured to have a relationship with Taylor Swift. With a powerhouse casting plus a popular literature among young adults, many expects that it can exceed the blockbuster hit, according to the Wall St. Cheat Sheet. However, some critics are still in doubt of this especially that "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games" are action-packed narratives.
"The Giver," on the other hand, is more of a philosophical dramatic work. Hence, readers of the book can expect that "a lot of colours" will be added to spice up the film's story line, according to actor Jeff Bridges during his interview with Entertainment Weekly.
Bridges also revealed that the author is not so concerned about the alterations. He said that "the spirit of the story" is more important for Lowry than living up to the facts written in the book.
Now that "The Giver" is set for its released soon, a lot of young adults are getting excited for yet another trip to Dystopia, a lavish destination towards the future. Fans of the "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games" franchise may want to stay tuned with this latest buzz.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4