Movies to Watch: ‘The Giver,’ the Next ‘Hunger Games’ or ‘Divergent’ Blockbuster Hit
By Maychelle Ornos | April 24, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Perhaps 2014 is the year of Dystopian films with "Divergent" becoming a blockbuster hit during its release and the upcoming "The Hunger Games' Mockingjay," another film of the same genre is set to hit theaters on August 15, "The Giver."
"The Giver" is a movie adaptation of the Lois Lowry's 1993 bestseller book which has sold more than 5 million copies and a recipient of the Newbery Medal. The plot is set in a utopian society where no pain or war exists except a predominance of a state of sameness. However, a boy becomes the "receiver of memory." He is the one who keeps the memory of the past before a new order comes. In the end, the boy becomes confused as to moving on with the status quo.
This upcoming movie has a lot of similarities with "Divergent" only that the former stars award-winning celebrities like Meryl Streep (acing the role of Chief Elder) and Jeff Bridges ("The Giver"). Also in the cast of is Katie Holmes, Alexander Skarsgard and country singer Taylor Swift (playing the role of Rosemary). "The Giver" is directed by Phillip Noyce and will be distributed by The Weinstein Company.
The star of the film will be played by Brenton Thwaites, an Australian actor who was rumoured to have a relationship with Taylor Swift. With a powerhouse casting plus a popular literature among young adults, many expects that it can exceed the blockbuster hit, according to the Wall St. Cheat Sheet. However, some critics are still in doubt of this especially that "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games" are action-packed narratives.
"The Giver," on the other hand, is more of a philosophical dramatic work. Hence, readers of the book can expect that "a lot of colours" will be added to spice up the film's story line, according to actor Jeff Bridges during his interview with Entertainment Weekly.
Bridges also revealed that the author is not so concerned about the alterations. He said that "the spirit of the story" is more important for Lowry than living up to the facts written in the book.
Now that "The Giver" is set for its released soon, a lot of young adults are getting excited for yet another trip to Dystopia, a lavish destination towards the future. Fans of the "Divergent" and "The Hunger Games" franchise may want to stay tuned with this latest buzz.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)