Viral Video: Snake Takes Another Beating, This Time from an Australian Spider
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 24, 2014 9:02 AM EST
Scientists are interested in using spider silk, which is stronger than steel and lighter than Kevlar, for a variety purposes.
The match, which lasted for 60 minutes, involved a Gold silk orb-weave spider that could grow up to 6.9 centimetres in body length, excluding its legs, and a half-a-metre long brown tree snake which dines on birds, lizards and small mammals.
Unfortunately for the snake, it fell from a tree and was caught in the spider's web, making it impossible for the snake to escape. The insect world's David and triumphed over the jungle's Goliath this time, although the story would likely have a different ending had it been an adult python that was involved in the battle for which one would end up as the meal.
Daniel Reardon chanced upon the unique battle, took a video of the fight and reduced it to a one minute clip which he posted in a popular video sharing site. The video has so far more than 600,000 views.
Similar wild creature battles have also become viral on the Internet as animals that fight it out for survival often appear to an uneven match with one animal usually significantly larger than its opponent; often the beast's planned breakfast, lunch or dinner.
A snake had won over a crocodile, but in one instance the croc ate its way out of the slithering creature. When the alligator tried to bully an electric eel, the match produced no winners but became food for other creatures of the wild as both eel and gator died.
When a python and another gator had an encounter in a marsh, the bout proved to be difficult to settle who would win, so both animals walked away from the battle.
In some instances, the smaller creature prevailed like what was discovered by researchers in Macedonia when they saw a centipede crawl out of a dead viper. Apparently, the snake ate the centipede alive, which in turn exacted its revenge by eating the insides of the viper.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Virgin Atlantic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes At Test Flight, 1 Dead
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists