Australians to Spend $13,000+ for 2014 Travels, Double Global Average of $5,500
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 24, 2014 8:52 AM EST
A TripBarometer survey by travel site TripAdvisor among 50,000 people from different countries named Australia and Italy as their top dream destinations with the two nations tied for first place.
They were followed by the U.S., France and New Zealand.
But they are merely dream destinations, not based on actual travel intentions of plans, since the survey was premised on money not being a problem in reaching their desired destinations.
The same survey found that Aussies listed Canada and Italy as their dream destinations, but they actually plan to go to the U.S. in the next 12 months. The information shows a shift in preference since in the last year, Thailand was the favourite destination of Australians.
Australia being a progressive country, it would not be surprising that Aussies plan to spend an average of $13,831 for their 2014 travel, more than double the yearly global average spend of $5,498.
Tourist-oriented establishments would be happy to know that prospects appear bright in the coming months since 90 per cent of the survey respondents plan domestic travel, while 77 per cent plan to go overseas.
Here are the top 10 dream destinations of the respondents:
1. & 2. Australia and Italy
5. New Zealand
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 29, 2014
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report