Australians to Spend $13,000+ for 2014 Travels, Double Global Average of $5,500
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 24, 2014 8:52 AM EST
A TripBarometer survey by travel site TripAdvisor among 50,000 people from different countries named Australia and Italy as their top dream destinations with the two nations tied for first place.
They were followed by the U.S., France and New Zealand.
But they are merely dream destinations, not based on actual travel intentions of plans, since the survey was premised on money not being a problem in reaching their desired destinations.
The same survey found that Aussies listed Canada and Italy as their dream destinations, but they actually plan to go to the U.S. in the next 12 months. The information shows a shift in preference since in the last year, Thailand was the favourite destination of Australians.
Australia being a progressive country, it would not be surprising that Aussies plan to spend an average of $13,831 for their 2014 travel, more than double the yearly global average spend of $5,498.
Tourist-oriented establishments would be happy to know that prospects appear bright in the coming months since 90 per cent of the survey respondents plan domestic travel, while 77 per cent plan to go overseas.
Here are the top 10 dream destinations of the respondents:
1. & 2. Australia and Italy
5. New Zealand
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown