Prostitutes in Germany Contact Clients via New Peppr App
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 24, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Flesh trade workers in Germany have gone high-tech, tapping the newly released Peppr app to get clients. The app works like a dating site which matches customer and prostitute, making it the Tinder of the sex industry.
A woman uses a calculator as sex workers wait for customers in the Dolly district in Surabaya March 24, 2014. Tri Rismaharini, the celebrated mayor of Indonesia's second-largest city of Surabaya, has revamped its parks, kickstarted its port development and given free health and education to its poor. But one big challenge remains: shutting down Dolly, a brothel complex established in the 1970s in what is now central Surabaya. Picture taken March 24, 2014
Peppr was created by a Berlin-based startup which markets the app as the first mobile Web app for booking erotic entertainment, reports Time.
It works with the prospective client listing their location, acknowledging they are at least 18 years old and selecting the gender of the sex worker. They are then given a choice with photos and profiles of men or women who agree to paid sex.
It is free for sex trade workers to be listed on Peppr, but customers must pay €5 to €10 for each booking. The list includes the types of services offered and the body types of the prostitutes.
Pia Poppenreiter, the co-founder of the startup that created Peppr, said the idea to create the app came while she was walking along Oranienburger Straße on a chilly night and pitied the prostitutes out in the cold soliciting customers.
Prostitution is legal in Germany since 2002, with about 400,000 sex trade workers. But most of them are foreigners from poorer European nations such as Bulgaria and Romania.
With trafficking victims reaching 23,600 in Europe, Poppenreiter does her part in halting the practice by talking over the phone to the sex trade workers who enlist with Peppr if they are doing so voluntarily or are forced by white slavery rings. However, she admitted it is difficult to verify the latter.
In launching the app on April 1, Poppenreiter said, "We're trying to revolutionize the image of sex work in general ... We're trying to get it away from its shabby image."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon