Boxing News 2014: Expert Says Pacquiao Would Beat Mayweather If the Dream Match Would Take Place Now; Tax Court Orders Phil Gov’t to Stop Garnishing Pacman’s Properties
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 24, 2014 8:12 AM EST
In the eyes of boxing experts, eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao was able to prove to the world that he is one of the best pugilists in the world after he took back on April12 the WBO welterweight belt from once-undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
With the Desert Storm having tasted defeat, speculations are rife if the Filipino congressman could duplicate the feat on another unbeaten American boxer - Floyd Mayweather Jr.
The dream match has been the subject of so much talk and rumours, but its moving into the realm of reality appears dimmer as the two pound-for-pound champions approach their retirement years.
But for Larry Nalzaro of BoxingNews24.com, the Pacman has good chances of beating Money May if the dream bout were to take place today.
He disproved the common belief that because Pacquiao has lost the killer instinct and has slowed down, Pacman would be beaten to submission by Mayweather.
Nalzaro pointed out that had the match happened seven years ago, Mayweather would likely be the victor, but he added that Money May has also aged and at 37, is two years older than the 35-year-old Pacquiao.
In predicting a Pacquiao win, Nalzaro pointed out that the Filipino southpaw is battle-tested since he has engaged in "war-of-attrition type of battles that Mayweather almost never had."
He also stressed that both boxers had not knocked out their opponents for quite some time, but it is only Pacquiao who has been skewered for that.
However, the boxing pundit acknowledged the match would probably never happen, so rather than pit the two ring kings, "let's celebrate the two for their unique talent and skill."
"Instead of denigrating one over the other; let's appreciate both for the joy and excitement they bring to our hearts," Nalzaro wrote.
But Pacquiao scored a major victory outside the ring on Wednesday when the Court of Tax Appeals ordered the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to stop garnishing his properties over an alleged tax liability that has recently ballooned to P3.2 billion, probably his $20 million guaranteed purse in the April 12 bout already added.
However, the ruling was no knockout either, only a favourable decision since the court also ordered Pacquiao to deposit a cash bond for the same amount or a P4.9 billion bond from the Government Service Insurance System or other reputable surety company accredited by the Philippine Supreme Court.
The decision ordered the boxer to post the bond within 10 days of receiving the tax court's resolution.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Police Find Miss Honduras & Sister’s Dead Bodies Near River; Sister’s BF Being Questioned
- Jealousy Behind Shooting Of Miss Honduras & Sister, BF Confesses
- Killer Even Joined Search For Beauty Queen & Sister, Uncle Reveals; Honduras Won’t Send Replacement Candidate To Miss World
- Gunman Wounds 3 Students In Florida State University Shooting
- Most Male Sex Workers In Australia Get Clients From Online Escort Sites, Not On Streets
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit