Boxing News 2014: Expert Says Pacquiao Would Beat Mayweather If the Dream Match Would Take Place Now; Tax Court Orders Phil Gov’t to Stop Garnishing Pacman’s Properties
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 24, 2014 8:12 AM EST
In the eyes of boxing experts, eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao was able to prove to the world that he is one of the best pugilists in the world after he took back on April12 the WBO welterweight belt from once-undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
With the Desert Storm having tasted defeat, speculations are rife if the Filipino congressman could duplicate the feat on another unbeaten American boxer - Floyd Mayweather Jr.
The dream match has been the subject of so much talk and rumours, but its moving into the realm of reality appears dimmer as the two pound-for-pound champions approach their retirement years.
But for Larry Nalzaro of BoxingNews24.com, the Pacman has good chances of beating Money May if the dream bout were to take place today.
He disproved the common belief that because Pacquiao has lost the killer instinct and has slowed down, Pacman would be beaten to submission by Mayweather.
Nalzaro pointed out that had the match happened seven years ago, Mayweather would likely be the victor, but he added that Money May has also aged and at 37, is two years older than the 35-year-old Pacquiao.
In predicting a Pacquiao win, Nalzaro pointed out that the Filipino southpaw is battle-tested since he has engaged in "war-of-attrition type of battles that Mayweather almost never had."
He also stressed that both boxers had not knocked out their opponents for quite some time, but it is only Pacquiao who has been skewered for that.
However, the boxing pundit acknowledged the match would probably never happen, so rather than pit the two ring kings, "let's celebrate the two for their unique talent and skill."
"Instead of denigrating one over the other; let's appreciate both for the joy and excitement they bring to our hearts," Nalzaro wrote.
But Pacquiao scored a major victory outside the ring on Wednesday when the Court of Tax Appeals ordered the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to stop garnishing his properties over an alleged tax liability that has recently ballooned to P3.2 billion, probably his $20 million guaranteed purse in the April 12 bout already added.
However, the ruling was no knockout either, only a favourable decision since the court also ordered Pacquiao to deposit a cash bond for the same amount or a P4.9 billion bond from the Government Service Insurance System or other reputable surety company accredited by the Philippine Supreme Court.
The decision ordered the boxer to post the bond within 10 days of receiving the tax court's resolution.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Russian Union Of Engineers Point To Ukraine Airforce As Responsible For MH17 Crash
- California Park Rangers Accuse Nudist Colony Members of Stealing From Waterfall For Skinny Dipping During A Drought
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH 370: Aviation Exec Says Pilot Deliberately Killed Passengers & Crew By Cutting Oxygen Supply
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australians Targeted By Hackers Locking Computers For $700 Ransom
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional