Nexus 6 Release Date: Nexus 5 Successor to be Cheaper than Moto G?
By Raymond Ronamai | April 23, 2014 11:23 PM EST
Amid speculations on the release date of Google Nexus 6, a report has emerged stating that successor of Nexus 5 might be priced under $100 - cheaper than Motorola Moto G.
Google is reportedly working with MediaTek on a smartphone that will be cheaper than the 8GB version of Moto G, according to a website called MTKSJ.com (Google translate). It stressed that the budget device would be priced under $100.
Screenshot from Google website
The smartphone is said to be the follow-up to Nexus 5 but it is very unlikely to be the much-hyped Google flagship device Nexus 6, which is set for release this fall.
Several conflicting reports on the release date of Nexus 6 have emerged, with some claiming that it would be unveiled after Google's I/O Developers Conference on 25 and 26 June in San Francisco, while others said that it would be launched only in November.
Google's VP Sundar Pichai had earlier said during the Mobile World Congress 2014 (MWC 2014) that the device would be announced only in October. Twitter leaker @evleaks had also given a hint in one of its posts that the device would arrive sooner than expected, though no details, including the specifications and availability, were given.
The device is expected to feature a 20MP camera with HDR mode and other stunning graphics, according to Tech Cocktail, contradicting earlier reports that it would have a 13MP camera (main) and a 5MP front camera. It is likely to be waterproof, will house a 3200+ mAh battery and have features that will allow users to have access to Google content, like movies, videos, games, etc on their TVs.
It was also reported that Nexus 6 would sport a 5.2-inch full HD and curved LCD display protected by Corning Gorilla Glass, powered by a 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset with 3GB RAM and run on Android 4.5 Lollypop. It is also expected to have features like HTC proprietary BoomSound stereo speakers and have connectivity such as Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi and 4G.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports