Manny Pacquiao vs. Canelo Alvarez Likely To Happen in Late 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 23, 2014 10:49 PM EST
The showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Saul Canelo Alvarez could happen late this year, if negotiations between Top-Rank promotions and Golden Boy Promotions go smoothly, according to a source close to situation.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his unanimous decision over WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. after their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014. Bradley was previously undefeated.
Pacquiao, fresh from capturing back the WBO welterweight championship belt after peppering Timothy Bradley on his way to as 12-round unanimous decision win, could make his return in the light middleweight to face one of the most popular names in boxing today in Alvarez.
Alvarez is also coming off a win, a 10th TKO win over Alfredo Angulo, and set to face Erislandy Lara for the WBA Light Middleweight championship in July. The young Mexican boxer is considered by a number of boxing analysts as the second coming of Oscar De La Hoya because of his rare combination of good looks and talent in the ring.
Ending the Cold War on Big Note
Boxing fans have been deprived of big matches for years because of the ongoing rift between Golden Boy and Top-Rank. However, De La Hoya provided an insight that a cold war will soon come to an end by reaching out with Top-Rank head honcho Bob Arum on Christmas Day.
Arum also expressed his willingness to engage in a talk with his former prize fighter with regards to arranging a megabuck showdown involving fighters from both camps.
"I'd be happy to talk to Oscar about any subject in boxing he wishes to talk about," Arum told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday. All this baloney about a cold war has never really applied to Oscar and myself."
When asked about the possible clash between Pacquiao and Alvarez, the Golden Boy did not rule it out, as he believed big fights could happen as long as everything falls in place.
"Anything is possible," De La Hoya said to the LA Times about a Pacquiao vs. Canelo fight. "That's one of the reasons I was extending the olive branch. The fans want to see these fights."
Pacquiao's last and only fight in the light middleweight division happened in 2010, when he obliterated Antonio Margarito to win the WBC Light Middleweight championship and become the only boxer with a championship in eight different weight classes.
Another option for Pacquiao is to go down at 140-pound class, where a showdown with Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Amir Khan and even former sparringmate Ruslan Provodnikov could take place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports