No More Coach Woes for Kevin Pietersen as he Enjoys a Healthy Partnership with Daredevils' Gary Kirsten
By Shruthi SU | April 23, 2014 10:24 PM EST
It did not take 14 smileys for Kevin Pietersen to explain his relationship with Delhi Daredevils' coach Gary Kirsten; all it took was a genuine smile and a few heartfelt words.
Pietersen has been in the news for all things other than cricket lately, and his finger injury has added to the increase in the off field news he has been making.
The 33-year-old has missed all three matches Delhi has played so far in IPL 7 but has been quite an influence on the team. 'Team engagement' has been the key word for Pietersen's career changing episodes so far, with the ECB announcing that the South Africa-born batsman was rather disengaged to be part of the English team's future.
Sitting in the dugout with countryman Kirsten, and having the experience of playing under several coaches, Pietersen hints that Kirsten is everything a coach needs to be.
"Gary is people's person," Pietersen told the official IPL site. "He's fantastic to be around. He's one of those guys with whom you want to hang around, he's infectious.
"He's got such a calming influence, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, you get the same positive vibes from him. I think that's really important for the players and especially for the youngsters. You don't want a coach who gets jittery and goes up, down and all over the place."
The major gain for Indian cricket from the IPL is not the money, revenue, glamour and fame that come along; it's the learning that young cricketers like Mayank Agarwal or Saurabh Tiwary will get from top quality players like Pietersen and JP Duminy.
"It's imperative for me to play a significant role as a senior figure in the dressing room," Pietersen, in whose absence Dinesh Karthik [the second most expensive player at the IPL 7 auction] has taken over the captaincy, said. "You need to reach out to the players and help them out.
"Yes, I have handed the reigns of the team to Karthik but I've also got to help him. We're all a part of the senior group in the squad and the onus is on us to look after each other. The young guys need guidance from us and we too need to know how they want to go about things."
Having won just one of the three matches played so far, Pietersen hopes Delhi will be in a better position, come the end of the first leg of the IPL in the UAE. And as for himself, he should be back in action when Delhi take on Sunrisers Hyderabad in Dubai on Friday.
"I'm going to hopefully be back in the next game after I train well for a week," the 33-year-old pointed out. "Yes, we didn't start the tournament as well as we wanted to but the IPL is a marathon, not a sprint. We do not need to worry about the first three-five games. As long as we get into a winning streak with game sixth-tenth, we're going to finish this tournament really well."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown