Chelsea FC News: Blues Starting Defender and Goalkeeper Ruled Out of Return Leg Against Atletico Madrid
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 23, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Chelsea defender John Terry and first-choice goalkeeper Petr Cech will not be suiting up in the return leg of the Champions League semi-finals against Atletico Madrid.
Chelsea's Petr Cech and John Terry are ruled out of the return leg against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League
Jose Mourinho stated after the scoreless first-leg that the 31-year-old shot-stopper's season is over after he suffered shoulder injury 18 minutes into the game and was replaced by Mark Schwarzer.
Cech collided with Atletico Madrid's Raul Garcia in mid-air after following a corner that had him landing on his shoulders awkwardly.
Meanwhile, Terry twisted his ankle by himself in the second-half and was subbed off on the 73rd minute.
"Petr Čech's season is over. He won't play again this season, but I hope he can at least celebrate something with us. For John, we will have to reach the final for him to play again," said Mourinho.
The west London outfit will need to address issues concerning fatigue as they will face the Rojiblancos for a decider on Tuesday, but an equally important match against Premier League frontrunners Liverpool is scheduled two days prior
The west London outfit will be facing the Rojiblancos on Tuesday for a decider, but an equally important match against Premier League frontrunners Liverpool is scheduled two days prior and fatigue
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho