Chelsea FC News: Blues Starting Defender and Goalkeeper Ruled Out of Return Leg Against Atletico Madrid
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 23, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Chelsea defender John Terry and first-choice goalkeeper Petr Cech will not be suiting up in the return leg of the Champions League semi-finals against Atletico Madrid.
Chelsea's Petr Cech and John Terry are ruled out of the return leg against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League
Jose Mourinho stated after the scoreless first-leg that the 31-year-old shot-stopper's season is over after he suffered shoulder injury 18 minutes into the game and was replaced by Mark Schwarzer.
Cech collided with Atletico Madrid's Raul Garcia in mid-air after following a corner that had him landing on his shoulders awkwardly.
Meanwhile, Terry twisted his ankle by himself in the second-half and was subbed off on the 73rd minute.
"Petr Čech's season is over. He won't play again this season, but I hope he can at least celebrate something with us. For John, we will have to reach the final for him to play again," said Mourinho.
The west London outfit will need to address issues concerning fatigue as they will face the Rojiblancos for a decider on Tuesday, but an equally important match against Premier League frontrunners Liverpool is scheduled two days prior
The west London outfit will be facing the Rojiblancos on Tuesday for a decider, but an equally important match against Premier League frontrunners Liverpool is scheduled two days prior and fatigue
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales