Shakespeare Day 2014: 20 Inspiring Quotes to Mark William Shakespeare’s Birthday
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 23, 2014 8:23 PM EST
April 23 is believed to be the birth anniversary of William Shakespeare, one of England's greatest poets and dramatists. 2014 marks his 450th birthday.
Shakespeare Day 2014: April 23 is believed to be the birth anniversary of William Shakespeare. Here are his 20 inspiring quotes to mark the day. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
The day, which is one of the most popular observances especially in the United Kingdom and rest of the English speaking countries, is often celebrated with great enthusiasm. Special pageants are held at Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, where Shakespeare was born and where thousands of tourists go each year to see his plays being performed.
The bells of Holy Trinity church ring out and the mayor or Stratford leads a procession there to lay flowers on the grave of the legendary English writer, who is often referred to as the father of English literature.
To mark his birth anniversary and Shakespeare's Day 2014, here is a collection of the 20 all-time best quotes from the legendary writer and poet:
1. All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
2. A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
3. Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
4. If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?
5. If music be the food of love, play on.
6. It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.
7. There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
8. Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind.
9. Better three hours too soon than a minute too late.
10. Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
11. What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
12. Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs.
13. The empty vessel makes the loudest sound.
14. We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
15. To be, or not be to be, that is the question.
16. A man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age.
17. Life is as tedious as twice-told tale, vexing the dull ear of a drowsy man.
18. Love sought is good, but given unsought, is better.
19. The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief.
20. Having nothing, nothing can he lose.
21. I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft