Moving Ice Island: Monstrous Iceberg Almost the Size of Entire City Moving into Ocean off Antarctica
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 23, 2014 6:22 PM EST
A massive iceberg or ice island of a whopping 255 square miles in size is moving into the ocean off Antarctica and could threaten shipping during the Antarctic winter, NASA has said.
A massive iceberg or ice island of a whooping 255 square miles in size is moving into the ocean off Antarctica. (Photo: NASA/Jeff Schmaltz)
The monstrous ice island, known as iceberg B31 is almost twice the size of Atlanta, as CNN notes, and almost the size of the entire Indian city of Bangalore (which is 286 square miles).
The floating ice Island could also be almost a third of a mile thick, scientists said in a report from NASA's Earth Observatory. The iceberg separated itself from Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier last November, while the crack that ultimately led this Iceberg's formation was spotted in 2011, NSAS said.
The iceberg has been drifting out of Pine Island Bay and moving into the Amundsen Sea off the western side of the continent, ever since it first formed in November.
"The iceberg is now well out of Pine Island Bay and will soon join the more general flow in the Southern Ocean, which could be east or west in this region," iceberg researcher Grant Bigg from the University of Sheffield in England said in a statement
Scientists fear that as the Antarctic winter of utter darkness is approaching, it will be difficult to track the moving island. More importantly, scientists are not expecting the iceburg to melt anytime soon and ice islands of such massive size could hang around for more than a year.
The CNN notes that the largest iceberg ever recorded was called B15. It had an area of 4,250 square miles - almost the size of the state of Connecticut or the Island of Jamaica or almost four times the size of entire Goa. It came out of the Antarctica's Ross Ice Shelf in March 200 and has since broken apart although parts of it still exist around the Antarctic today.
(Image Credit: NASA/by Jeff Schmaltz)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast