What is ANZAC Day: Meaning, History Fast Facts And Major Events
By Sonalee singh | April 23, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Anzac Day is considered a national holiday in Australia and New Zealand. It is a day to remember those who lost their lives and served in the wars or during peacekeeping operations. The day was originated on April 25 to honor the members of "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
It is one of the most important national occasions in Australia and New Zealand as it is a rare occasion shared by two countries. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand forces went out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula as per the plan of Winston Churchill. Constantinople was the main focus of the army as it was a major ally of Germany. The ANZAC forces fought with strong army of Ottoman Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal and the war led to major casualties.
It is in honor of these men who gave their lives for their honor of country that every year Anzac day is celebrated on April 25. Here we look at some of most important events of the day:
- Veterans and current military personnel attend a dawn service and a two-minute silence is observed followed by a bugler blast, the Last Post and Reveille.
- People visit Australian war memorial in Campbell.
- Families place red poppies besides the names of family members contained on the Memorial Roll of Honor.
- National Flag is flown at half-mast.
- Wreaths are laid at Australian War Memorial.
Some fast facts of Anzac day are as follows: (compiled from Australiagov.au)
- The ANZACs volunteered for war.
- The Gallipoli Peninsula is situated near the famous ancient city of Troy.
- The first dawn service on the ANZAC Day was in 1923 and first official dawn service was held at the Sydney Cenotaph in 1927.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money