What is ANZAC Day: Meaning, History Fast Facts And Major Events
By Sonalee singh | April 23, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Anzac Day is considered a national holiday in Australia and New Zealand. It is a day to remember those who lost their lives and served in the wars or during peacekeeping operations. The day was originated on April 25 to honor the members of "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
It is one of the most important national occasions in Australia and New Zealand as it is a rare occasion shared by two countries. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand forces went out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula as per the plan of Winston Churchill. Constantinople was the main focus of the army as it was a major ally of Germany. The ANZAC forces fought with strong army of Ottoman Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal and the war led to major casualties.
It is in honor of these men who gave their lives for their honor of country that every year Anzac day is celebrated on April 25. Here we look at some of most important events of the day:
- Veterans and current military personnel attend a dawn service and a two-minute silence is observed followed by a bugler blast, the Last Post and Reveille.
- People visit Australian war memorial in Campbell.
- Families place red poppies besides the names of family members contained on the Memorial Roll of Honor.
- National Flag is flown at half-mast.
- Wreaths are laid at Australian War Memorial.
Some fast facts of Anzac day are as follows: (compiled from Australiagov.au)
- The ANZACs volunteered for war.
- The Gallipoli Peninsula is situated near the famous ancient city of Troy.
- The first dawn service on the ANZAC Day was in 1923 and first official dawn service was held at the Sydney Cenotaph in 1927.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine