What is ANZAC Day: Meaning, History Fast Facts And Major Events
By Sonalee singh | April 23, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Anzac Day is considered a national holiday in Australia and New Zealand. It is a day to remember those who lost their lives and served in the wars or during peacekeeping operations. The day was originated on April 25 to honor the members of "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
It is one of the most important national occasions in Australia and New Zealand as it is a rare occasion shared by two countries. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand forces went out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula as per the plan of Winston Churchill. Constantinople was the main focus of the army as it was a major ally of Germany. The ANZAC forces fought with strong army of Ottoman Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal and the war led to major casualties.
It is in honor of these men who gave their lives for their honor of country that every year Anzac day is celebrated on April 25. Here we look at some of most important events of the day:
- Veterans and current military personnel attend a dawn service and a two-minute silence is observed followed by a bugler blast, the Last Post and Reveille.
- People visit Australian war memorial in Campbell.
- Families place red poppies besides the names of family members contained on the Memorial Roll of Honor.
- National Flag is flown at half-mast.
- Wreaths are laid at Australian War Memorial.
Some fast facts of Anzac day are as follows: (compiled from Australiagov.au)
- The ANZACs volunteered for war.
- The Gallipoli Peninsula is situated near the famous ancient city of Troy.
- The first dawn service on the ANZAC Day was in 1923 and first official dawn service was held at the Sydney Cenotaph in 1927.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports