What is ANZAC Day: Meaning, History Fast Facts And Major Events
By Sonalee singh | April 23, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Anzac Day is considered a national holiday in Australia and New Zealand. It is a day to remember those who lost their lives and served in the wars or during peacekeeping operations. The day was originated on April 25 to honor the members of "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
It is one of the most important national occasions in Australia and New Zealand as it is a rare occasion shared by two countries. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand forces went out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula as per the plan of Winston Churchill. Constantinople was the main focus of the army as it was a major ally of Germany. The ANZAC forces fought with strong army of Ottoman Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal and the war led to major casualties.
It is in honor of these men who gave their lives for their honor of country that every year Anzac day is celebrated on April 25. Here we look at some of most important events of the day:
- Veterans and current military personnel attend a dawn service and a two-minute silence is observed followed by a bugler blast, the Last Post and Reveille.
- People visit Australian war memorial in Campbell.
- Families place red poppies besides the names of family members contained on the Memorial Roll of Honor.
- National Flag is flown at half-mast.
- Wreaths are laid at Australian War Memorial.
Some fast facts of Anzac day are as follows: (compiled from Australiagov.au)
- The ANZACs volunteered for war.
- The Gallipoli Peninsula is situated near the famous ancient city of Troy.
- The first dawn service on the ANZAC Day was in 1923 and first official dawn service was held at the Sydney Cenotaph in 1927.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu