What is ANZAC Day: Meaning, History Fast Facts And Major Events
By Sonalee singh | April 23, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Anzac Day is considered a national holiday in Australia and New Zealand. It is a day to remember those who lost their lives and served in the wars or during peacekeeping operations. The day was originated on April 25 to honor the members of "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
It is one of the most important national occasions in Australia and New Zealand as it is a rare occasion shared by two countries. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand forces went out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula as per the plan of Winston Churchill. Constantinople was the main focus of the army as it was a major ally of Germany. The ANZAC forces fought with strong army of Ottoman Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal and the war led to major casualties.
It is in honor of these men who gave their lives for their honor of country that every year Anzac day is celebrated on April 25. Here we look at some of most important events of the day:
- Veterans and current military personnel attend a dawn service and a two-minute silence is observed followed by a bugler blast, the Last Post and Reveille.
- People visit Australian war memorial in Campbell.
- Families place red poppies besides the names of family members contained on the Memorial Roll of Honor.
- National Flag is flown at half-mast.
- Wreaths are laid at Australian War Memorial.
Some fast facts of Anzac day are as follows: (compiled from Australiagov.au)
- The ANZACs volunteered for war.
- The Gallipoli Peninsula is situated near the famous ancient city of Troy.
- The first dawn service on the ANZAC Day was in 1923 and first official dawn service was held at the Sydney Cenotaph in 1927.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced