Australia TripAdvisor's Top Dream Destination; New Zealand in 5th Place
By Reissa Su | April 23, 2014 5:45 PM EST
Australia has emerged as the top dream destination in the world, along with Italy in TripAdvisor's TripBarometer report.
The Queen Mary 2 sets sail past the Sydney Opera House, February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
The new survey of more than 50,000 people worldwide voted for the two countries as their top destinations in their travel wishlists if they had available funds. In the global report, the U.S., France and New Zealand made it to the top five countries.
For Australians, traveling abroad is more attractive than visiting local attractions. Those who responded to the survey cited Canada and Italy as their dream destinations.
The U.S. was the top-of-mind destination Aussies would actually visit in 2015. For families around the world, Australia is their top destination while millennials chose Italy as their dream vacation.
Among the retirees who responded to the survey, both Australia and Italy tied at the top spot. TripAdvisor's report also revealed that Australians plan to do more international vacations than domestic holidays.
The Carribean, Greece, Japan, Spain and Switzerland rounded out the top 10 based on the TripBarometer report. The results of TripAdvisor's global survey came after the Sydney Airport in Australia was named the worst airport earlier this month, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) report.
The Sydney airport was ranked by passengers as the "worst" for being too congested in its domestic and international terminals. Australia's biggest airports will need to invest more to address congestion, passenger growth and boost service levels.
In the ACCC's state of the airport report, Brisbane is the only airport that has shown improvement in service quality. Sydney Airport's quality of service was rated the lowest among the largest airports in Australia.
Sydney Airport's low quality of service and low investments in addressing the demands of passengers and airlines indicated the necessary improvements have not been made.
The ACCC recognizes that the airport's expansion to accommodate service needs may be limited due to regulatory constraints. But the airport has the ability to address the issues of some services related to aircraft and passengers.
The Sydney airport is one of the biggest airports in Australia. If TripAdvisor respondents visit Australia, efforts to reduce congestion in terminals and improve service quality should be made to maintain the world's high regard for the country as a dream destination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2