Australia TripAdvisor's Top Dream Destination; New Zealand in 5th Place
By Reissa Su | April 23, 2014 5:45 PM EST
Australia has emerged as the top dream destination in the world, along with Italy in TripAdvisor's TripBarometer report.
The Queen Mary 2 sets sail past the Sydney Opera House, February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
The new survey of more than 50,000 people worldwide voted for the two countries as their top destinations in their travel wishlists if they had available funds. In the global report, the U.S., France and New Zealand made it to the top five countries.
For Australians, traveling abroad is more attractive than visiting local attractions. Those who responded to the survey cited Canada and Italy as their dream destinations.
The U.S. was the top-of-mind destination Aussies would actually visit in 2015. For families around the world, Australia is their top destination while millennials chose Italy as their dream vacation.
Among the retirees who responded to the survey, both Australia and Italy tied at the top spot. TripAdvisor's report also revealed that Australians plan to do more international vacations than domestic holidays.
The Carribean, Greece, Japan, Spain and Switzerland rounded out the top 10 based on the TripBarometer report. The results of TripAdvisor's global survey came after the Sydney Airport in Australia was named the worst airport earlier this month, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) report.
The Sydney airport was ranked by passengers as the "worst" for being too congested in its domestic and international terminals. Australia's biggest airports will need to invest more to address congestion, passenger growth and boost service levels.
In the ACCC's state of the airport report, Brisbane is the only airport that has shown improvement in service quality. Sydney Airport's quality of service was rated the lowest among the largest airports in Australia.
Sydney Airport's low quality of service and low investments in addressing the demands of passengers and airlines indicated the necessary improvements have not been made.
The ACCC recognizes that the airport's expansion to accommodate service needs may be limited due to regulatory constraints. But the airport has the ability to address the issues of some services related to aircraft and passengers.
The Sydney airport is one of the biggest airports in Australia. If TripAdvisor respondents visit Australia, efforts to reduce congestion in terminals and improve service quality should be made to maintain the world's high regard for the country as a dream destination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flights: MH17 Black Box Data Suggests Missile Attack; MH17 and MH370 Leads Malaysia Airlines to ‘Renaming and Rebranding’
- MH370: Police Dragged and Punched Families of Victims
- 5 Creepy (And Others--Amazing) Urban Legends From Australia
- Pm Abbott Goes Nuts over MH17 Mission
- Flying Still Safest Despite Air Crashes, Experts Reassure
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal