Australia TripAdvisor's Top Dream Destination; New Zealand in 5th Place
By Reissa Su | April 23, 2014 5:45 PM EST
Australia has emerged as the top dream destination in the world, along with Italy in TripAdvisor's TripBarometer report.
The Queen Mary 2 sets sail past the Sydney Opera House, February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
The new survey of more than 50,000 people worldwide voted for the two countries as their top destinations in their travel wishlists if they had available funds. In the global report, the U.S., France and New Zealand made it to the top five countries.
For Australians, traveling abroad is more attractive than visiting local attractions. Those who responded to the survey cited Canada and Italy as their dream destinations.
The U.S. was the top-of-mind destination Aussies would actually visit in 2015. For families around the world, Australia is their top destination while millennials chose Italy as their dream vacation.
Among the retirees who responded to the survey, both Australia and Italy tied at the top spot. TripAdvisor's report also revealed that Australians plan to do more international vacations than domestic holidays.
The Carribean, Greece, Japan, Spain and Switzerland rounded out the top 10 based on the TripBarometer report. The results of TripAdvisor's global survey came after the Sydney Airport in Australia was named the worst airport earlier this month, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) report.
The Sydney airport was ranked by passengers as the "worst" for being too congested in its domestic and international terminals. Australia's biggest airports will need to invest more to address congestion, passenger growth and boost service levels.
In the ACCC's state of the airport report, Brisbane is the only airport that has shown improvement in service quality. Sydney Airport's quality of service was rated the lowest among the largest airports in Australia.
Sydney Airport's low quality of service and low investments in addressing the demands of passengers and airlines indicated the necessary improvements have not been made.
The ACCC recognizes that the airport's expansion to accommodate service needs may be limited due to regulatory constraints. But the airport has the ability to address the issues of some services related to aircraft and passengers.
The Sydney airport is one of the biggest airports in Australia. If TripAdvisor respondents visit Australia, efforts to reduce congestion in terminals and improve service quality should be made to maintain the world's high regard for the country as a dream destination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown