Samsung Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 5s Durability Test: Apple is the Winner, Same for iPhone 6?
By Precious Silva | April 23, 2014 4:32 PM EST
Samsung's newly releases Galaxy S5 offers stronger built than the Samsung Galaxy S4 though it loses to Apple's iPhone 5s. As the rivalry of Apple and Samsung continues, a new study shows that Apple got a good edge over Samsung. Its iPhone 5s is stronger compared to Samsung Galaxy S5. Will it be the same for the iPhone 6?
The gold colored version of the new iPhone 5S is seen after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
A report from Square Trade evaluated the size, weight, grip-ability, water resistance, edge construction and front and back panel design of the handsets to see how vulnerable they are to accidents. The mobile insurance provider tested the handsets to see how they will perform when dropped 4 feet to the ground. Likewise, the test also included dunking the devices in water for 10 seconds and pushing or sliding them across the table.
The report ranked the smartphones from 1 to 10. The 10 corresponds to the most vulnerable or prone to breakage. According to Square Trade, the Galaxy S5 "takes a big step forward in durability, performing well in drop and dunk tests." Samsung Galaxy S5 scored 6 for breakability. The S5 performed better than the S4. The S4 scored 7 for breakability.
The report also noted:
"According to our research, 28 percent of smartphone owners, or about 44 million Americans, are considering buying the Samsung Galaxy S5," Ty Shay, CMO of SquareTrade, said in a statement. "It's good to see a major player like Samsung designing phones with accidental water damage in mind. We were also surprised to see how well the new S5 did in the drop test - as previous models suffered significant damage."
Square Trade felt that HTC went backwards with its HTC One M8 because it earned a 6.5 breakability score. The device did not perform well in the slide and dunk tests. Google's Nexus 5 earned 7 when it failed the drop and dunk tests.
As mentioned, the study crowned the iPhone 5s as the most durable of them all. Apple's handset led the Android smartphones earning a 5.5 score. For more information about the results of the Square Trade test, follow this link.
Apple will soon release the iPhone 6. With the iPhone 5s performing well, there are expectations that iPhone 6 can match or surpass this.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises