Report Reveals World’s Richest Middle Class Found No Longer in US But in Canada
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 23, 2014 3:48 PM EST
The Canadian middle class have been found to be now the world's richest in that segment, a report on incomes published on Tuesday in the New York Times said.
The AUD rides on a wild spin before the RBA decides on key rates today
The report, which looked at the incomes of middle class earners in about 20 nations, likewise said Canadians have bumped Americans from the top spot which the latter had long held.
"Middle-class incomes in Canada - substantially behind in 2000 - now appear to be higher than in the United States," the report said.
"Median income in Canada pulled into a tie with median United States income in 2010 and has most likely surpassed it since then," it added.
Douglas Porter, chief economist and managing director for BMO Nesbitt Burns, said the report basically revealed much about the present U.S. economy.
"It says as much about how badly damaged the U.S. economy was during the recession as it is necessarily a positive mark for Canada," Porter told CTV News.
The report said most American workers were left receiving meagre raises because the total bounty produced by the American economy has not been growing substantially faster here in recent decades than in Canada or Western Europe.
"Finally, governments in Canada and Western Europe take more aggressive steps to raise the take-home pay of low- and middle-income households by redistributing income."
Benjamin Tal, deputy chief economist of CIBC World Markets, said the widening income gap in the United States speaks more for itself.
"In my opinion, the widening income gap in the U.S. is the number one economic problem facing the U.S."
"It is not that we are doing great (we are not), it is that the U.S. is doing much worse," Tal said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How