Kill Rats, Have Beer; New Zealand University Launch Beer Trap to Help Keep Wellington Rat-Free
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 23, 2014 3:35 PM EST
When thirsty for beer, students in the University of Wellington in New Zealand all just need to hunt and kill rats in exchange for a bottle. The university's Science Society Department just recently launched a program called Beer Trap which aims to help keep Wellington rat-free.
The traps to catch the rats are provided by the university. Once they have killed a rodent, the student can exchange it for a beer voucher at the campus pub, called The Hunters Lounge.
According to a report by The Independent, the rat population has been increasing, affecting New Zealand's indigenous wildlife. Some have been seen climbing trees to eat birds' eggs. A number eat lizards.
"Not only are rats directly predating our species, they are also competing with them," Jonathan Musther, one of the founders of the Beer Trap campaign, told Vice magazine.
"We decided to get students from the Victoria University Science Society involved in running Beer Trap. The best way to incentivise them would be to get them a free drink. They are students after all," Mr Musther said.
Apart from rats, the scheme also includes the hedgehogs.
As expected, there are concerns the chosen incentive to students would promote the rise of alcoholic drinking and addiction in the university.
"I don't think it's an issue because I don't think anyone's going to catch that many rats. No one's going to catch ten rats and go to the Hunter Lounge and get sloshed," Musther said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Degree to Die For: Doctor of Chocolate at UK’s Cambridge U
- New Words Added To Online Oxford Dictionaries Including Time-Poor, Listicle and Live-Tweet
- Top 10 Work From Home Jobs That Pay A Lot
- Academic Says There Are at Least 10 Design Students More Deserving of $60,000 Scholarship in 2011 Than PM Tony Abbott’s Daughter Frances
- Google Doodle Commemorates John Venn's 108th Birthday [Watch Video]
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display