Kill Rats, Have Beer; New Zealand University Launch Beer Trap to Help Keep Wellington Rat-Free
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 23, 2014 3:35 PM EST
When thirsty for beer, students in the University of Wellington in New Zealand all just need to hunt and kill rats in exchange for a bottle. The university's Science Society Department just recently launched a program called Beer Trap which aims to help keep Wellington rat-free.
The traps to catch the rats are provided by the university. Once they have killed a rodent, the student can exchange it for a beer voucher at the campus pub, called The Hunters Lounge.
According to a report by The Independent, the rat population has been increasing, affecting New Zealand's indigenous wildlife. Some have been seen climbing trees to eat birds' eggs. A number eat lizards.
"Not only are rats directly predating our species, they are also competing with them," Jonathan Musther, one of the founders of the Beer Trap campaign, told Vice magazine.
"We decided to get students from the Victoria University Science Society involved in running Beer Trap. The best way to incentivise them would be to get them a free drink. They are students after all," Mr Musther said.
Apart from rats, the scheme also includes the hedgehogs.
As expected, there are concerns the chosen incentive to students would promote the rise of alcoholic drinking and addiction in the university.
"I don't think it's an issue because I don't think anyone's going to catch that many rats. No one's going to catch ten rats and go to the Hunter Lounge and get sloshed," Musther said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments