Doomsday Asteroids: 26 Multi-Kilotons Explosions on Earth Detected; Will the Next Asteroid Impact be Earth’s Doomsday?
By Athena Yenko | April 23, 2014 3:31 PM EST
In 2013, a 600-kiloton asteroid impact happened in Chelyabinsk, Russia. There also was a 20 kilotons asteroid impact that happened in South Sulawsi, Indonesia in 2009. Another impact happened in 2004 in the Southern Ocean and in 2002 in the Mediterrenean Sea in 2002.
These impacts joined the list of 26 multi-kilotons asteroid explosions that already happened on Earth which were visualized in a video released by the B612 Foundation at a press conference on April 22 held at the Seattle Museum of Flight. The video featured the impact, size and the location of the asteroid explosions.
These asteroid impacts were not detected before they happened. There had been no warnings whatsoever. With this, scientists fear that larger and more explosive asteroid impacts might happen on Earth in the future.
"While most large asteroids with the potential to destroy an entire country or continent have been detected, less than 10,000 of the more than a million dangerous asteroids with the potential to destroy an entire major metropolitan area have been found by all existing space or terrestrially-operated observatories. Because we don't know where or when the next major impact will occur, the only thing preventing a catastrophe from a "city-killer" sized asteroid has been blind luck," Dr. Ed Lu, former US Shuttle and Soyuz Astronaut and co-founder and CEO of the B612 Foundation told press.
With this information at hand, the B612 foundation intends to build the Sentinel Space Telescope Mission that could track asteroid impact many years before it hit the Earth. The apparatus will be designed with an ability to deflect an asteroid as far as millions of miles away.
The B612 foundation plans to launch the Sentinel Space Telescope Mission on 2018 with target of detecting more than 200,000 asteroids within the year.
The foundation is backed-up by former NASA astronauts - Tom Jones, President of the Association of Space Explorers and Apollo 8 Astronaut Bill Anders, first Chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and former Chairman and CEO of General Dynamics.
Will the Next Asteroid Impact be Earth's Doomsday?
Meanwhile, televangelist Pat Robertson warned that Jesus spoke of asteroids destroying the Earth.
In a video with CBN's The 700 Club, Robertson said that there can be no other manifestation of Jesus's prophetic words than an asteroid strike.
"I don't see anything else that fulfills the prophetic words of Jesus Christ other than an asteroid strike. There isn't anything that will cause the seas to roil, that will, you know, cause the skies to darken, the moon and the sun not to give their light, the nations terrified on Earth of what's happening. There isn't anything that's going to do that. We're big enough to draw some of them in. And as somebody said it's 'blind luck.' Well, it's the mercy of the Lord. But if that mercy ever got lifted, whew."
Robertson calls for his followers to reflect on what Jesus said about "nobody living on the face of the Earth."
"That's what Jesus himself said! So, hey, just get ready. Get right. And stay right with the Lord. It could be next week, it could be 1,000 years from now. But nevertheless, we want to be ready whenever the Lord says, 'I'm wrapping it up, and it's time to come home.'"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues