Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Australia Eyes Use of More Powerful Side-Scan Sonar Capable of Reaching Deeper Water
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 23, 2014 3:20 PM EST
After 10 days of searching the floor of the Indian Ocean for any trace of the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 jet with zero results so far, Australia is considering the use of more sophisticated search equipment.
The Singaporean submarine support and rescue vessel, MV Swift Rescue, is prepared before it departs to assist in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in Singapore, in this 9 March, 2014 handout picture.
Australian Defence Minister David Johnston said the country is discussing with Malaysia, China and the United States about the next phase of the search, slated for announcement next week. He hinted that the next phase would likely involve the use of a more powerful, more capable side-scan sonar that could go into deeper water.
The limitation of the U.S. Navy's submersible Blue-fin 21, which has gone over 80 per cent of the targeted search area and found nothing, is that it returns to the surface upon reaching the depth of 4,500 metres.
Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Australian Travelers Abandon MH as Spending on Tickets of Embattled Air Carrier Drops by 1/3; Malaysian Tourism Ministry Holds Visit Malaysia Year 2014 Campaign to China
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott assured relatives of the ill-fated Flight 370 that the country would not abandon the search despite the zero result of the ongoing underwater search.
"We ay rethink the search but we will not rest until we have done all we can to solve this mystery," Mr Abbott said.
He debunked speculations that the jet landed in Diego Garcia or elsewhere, holding on to expert advice that the aircraft crashed somewhere in the Indian Ocean at a probably impact zone about 700 kilometres long and 80 kilometres wide.
However, City University Professor David Stupples, an electronic and radio engineering expert, opined that there may be a need to extend the search area by a maximum of 50,000 square kilometres, which would require additional resources since that would mean the ocean depth could go down to more than 6,000 metres.
Besides widening the search, the discussions with the other key nations include a framework on the handling of debris such a specific location where it would be brought and the protocol for handling and examination, and how to take care of human remains found, which would be recovered and treated, disclosed Martin Dolan, chief commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Wreckage Found In Indian Ocean To Be Verified
- Gaza Conflict Turns Showbiz With Lady Gaga and Hollywood Celebrities
- MH370: Kiwi Author Insists On Pilot Suicide Theory
- Kiwi Travel Lodge Owner Held For Drugged Sex Abuse And Its Filming: Victims Are Backpackers From All Over The World
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date