Iron ore mining likely to restart in January in Goa
April 23, 2014 2:37 PM EST
Mining in top iron ore-exporting state of Goa is likely to restart in January next year once all companies have obtained environment and forest clearances from the federal government, a state government source said on Tuesday.
The Supreme Court lifted a 19-month old ban on mining in Goa on Monday, although it capped annual output in the state at 20 million tonnes. More supply from Goa, which exports nearly all its output, is likely to add to an expected surplus in the world market and put downward pressure on prices
The ban was imposed in 2012 as part of a drive to curb illegal mining. It was lifted on the recommendation of a panel appointed by the Supreme Court to look into the mining industry.
"Mining won't start so soon... it should start somewhere in January 2015 because of processing and other formalities," the source, who handles mining in the state, told Reuters. "Mines will have to comply with forest and environmental clearances."
The restart of mining activity will also be delayed by the four-month Indian monsoon season that begins in June, he said.
A ban on production and exports in Goa, coupled with similar curbs enforced earlier in neighbouring Karnataka, have sliced India's iron ore exports by 85 percent, or 100 million tonnes, over the past two years. India was once the third-largest exporter of iron ore, but has now slipped to No. 10.
Sesa Sterlite Ltd, India's largest private iron ore miner which extracts all of its ore from the state, said no mining operations could be carried out until it obtained renewal of its mining lease permission from the Goa state government.
The company is working to secure permission to start operations at the earliest, Sesa, a unit of London-listed Vedanta Resources Plc, said in a statement.
Its shares ended nearly 4 percent lower on Tuesday in a flat Mumbai market, having risen as much as 7.4 percent on Monday after the Supreme Court verdict.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS