Apple 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Delayed Until 2015
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 23, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Apple is set to roll out two iPhone models in 2014. The company will have a 4.7-inch screen and the other will have a 5.5-inch display, as claimed by earlier reports.
A woman looks at the screen of her mobile phone in front of an Apple logo outside its store in downtown Shanghai September 10, 2013.
Evidently, Apple is caught up in a production problem with the units' battery requirement. With regard to iPhone 6 models, Apple needs relatively thinner batteries for the 5.5-inch iPhone when compared to its devices from the past to fit inside the smartphone's redesigned case, and the suppliers that Apple had tie-up and are presently not able to meet the very high demand from the smartphone maker.
The publication said the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 should require a 2 mm thick battery cell, which translates to the unit being one-third thinner than the batteries from its competitors, which is normally 2.8 mm or 2.9 mm thick.
Hence it is obvious iPhone 6 will be a way thinner than Apple's flagship iPhone 5S. The rumored iPhone 6 is set to have a profile between 6.5 mm and 7.0 mm, compared to iPhone 5S, which is 7.6 mm thick, according to BGR.
Although the battery unit expectation is smaller than the previous models, this battery unit is touted to pack a 50 percent to 70 percent extra watt-hours than iPhone 5S. Also, other reports suggested the perceived delay in the 5.5-inch iPhone with supply chain sources misconstrued prototype testing to be the actual product.
The new report from Taiwan cannot be confirmed because Apple has never confirmed the production of 5.5-inch iPhone 6 or a promised launch date in 2014. Such rumors suggested Apple's trouble with manufacturing issues with a mobile component ahead of a new iPhone launch is not uncommon.
Even though the delay is expected for 5.5-inch iPhone, the smaller sized 4.7-inch iPhone 6 would be rolling out in September, which is in line with Apple's regular launch time range.
When it comes to apps for 4.7-inch iPhone, the latest retina screen apps could be more spaciously arranged and would add an additional row full of icons in the device's home screen. The iOS app developers might have to keep the new screen size in mind, after all Apple doesn't change its screen size quite often like Samsung.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best