Apple 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Delayed Until 2015
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 23, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Apple is set to roll out two iPhone models in 2014. The company will have a 4.7-inch screen and the other will have a 5.5-inch display, as claimed by earlier reports.
A woman looks at the screen of her mobile phone in front of an Apple logo outside its store in downtown Shanghai September 10, 2013.
Evidently, Apple is caught up in a production problem with the units' battery requirement. With regard to iPhone 6 models, Apple needs relatively thinner batteries for the 5.5-inch iPhone when compared to its devices from the past to fit inside the smartphone's redesigned case, and the suppliers that Apple had tie-up and are presently not able to meet the very high demand from the smartphone maker.
The publication said the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 should require a 2 mm thick battery cell, which translates to the unit being one-third thinner than the batteries from its competitors, which is normally 2.8 mm or 2.9 mm thick.
Hence it is obvious iPhone 6 will be a way thinner than Apple's flagship iPhone 5S. The rumored iPhone 6 is set to have a profile between 6.5 mm and 7.0 mm, compared to iPhone 5S, which is 7.6 mm thick, according to BGR.
Although the battery unit expectation is smaller than the previous models, this battery unit is touted to pack a 50 percent to 70 percent extra watt-hours than iPhone 5S. Also, other reports suggested the perceived delay in the 5.5-inch iPhone with supply chain sources misconstrued prototype testing to be the actual product.
The new report from Taiwan cannot be confirmed because Apple has never confirmed the production of 5.5-inch iPhone 6 or a promised launch date in 2014. Such rumors suggested Apple's trouble with manufacturing issues with a mobile component ahead of a new iPhone launch is not uncommon.
Even though the delay is expected for 5.5-inch iPhone, the smaller sized 4.7-inch iPhone 6 would be rolling out in September, which is in line with Apple's regular launch time range.
When it comes to apps for 4.7-inch iPhone, the latest retina screen apps could be more spaciously arranged and would add an additional row full of icons in the device's home screen. The iOS app developers might have to keep the new screen size in mind, after all Apple doesn't change its screen size quite often like Samsung.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues