Singapore Airlines Replaces A380 Flights to Sydney and Melbourne with Smaller Boeing 777-300ER
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 23, 2014 12:44 PM EST
Singapore Airlines announced on Tuesday it has made necessary reductions in its Airbus A380 flights to Sydney and Melbourne.
Effective May 30, Singapore Airlines will be offering a single daily 777-300ER return flight from Sydney to Singapore. The Melbourne to Singapore route will likewise have the same, effective October 26.
An Airbus A380 jet of Singapore Airlines lands at the airport in Zurich July 14, 2012.
"Operational requirements across our network will result in the deployment of our 777-300ER instead of A380s on some of our daily services from Sydney and Melbourne," Singapore Airlines said. It is also unknown if Singapore Airlines will reinstate the A380 services in the future in the mentioned routes.
It is presumed the pullout of the more sophisticated Airbus A380 has something to do with the airline's deployment into the Indian market. It implemented the ban based on concerns foreign airlines could increase their market share at the expense of government-owned Air India.
Singapore Airlines had earlier announced it will start flying its Airbus A380 to New Delhi and Mumbai from May 30. With the ban lifted, A380s may now land at India's four biggest airports: Mumbai, New Delhi, Hyderabad and Bangalore.
The A380s, depending on configurations, can hold about 470 passengers, while the 777-300ER seats only 278.
In February, Qantas announced flights from Perth to Singapore would be cancelled. The size of aircraft on its Sydney-Singapore and Brisbane-Singapore routes will also be reduced from the larger 747s to A330s.
Singapore Airlines was the first airline in the world to operate the A380 when it was put into service in October 2007 between Singapore and Sydney.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage