iPhone 6 Phablet is iPhone Air on Release Date – Super Slim & Lightweight Device Set For Q1 2015 Launch?
By Erik Pineda | April 23, 2014 11:57 AM EST
More voices were added to the snowballing iPhone 6 discourse, its 2014 release date supposedly gaining more ground as a new render and fresh details defining the hotly-anticipated handset came out.
From Taiwan's Commercial Business Times and picked up by numerous tech sites, it is alleged that Apple's blueprint for the first iOS phablet calls for an incredibly thin device - its battery supposedly measuring only 2mm in depth.
The same report, according to Apple Insider, speculated that Apple will nickname the larger iPhone as iPhone Air, obviously due to its slimmed down profile and following the naming approach that the company had introduced via the MacBook Air and the iPad Air.
The iPhone Air branding, however, remains unofficial, CNET said in a report, adding that the device may still end up sporting an entirely different name come the unwrapping time.
It appears though that Apple engineers are hell-bent to deliver a giant but sexy smartphone, somehow affirming the report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-chi Kuo that the larger iPhone 6 will have a screaming 5.5-inch viewing window.
Now to achieve the sleek but huge device profile, iPhone designers reportedly thought of further shaving down the standard battery depth ( that is for slim devices) of 3mm. The design is doable but clearly a challenge during the production phase considering that the same power pack will need to supply more battery juice or higher rating from the previous builds.
BGR recalled on its related report that the next-generation iPhone battery will pack some 70 per cent more of operating hours, again per the projections made by Kuo.
So there would be likely delays in the larger iPhone 6 rollout, again as predicted by Kuo's April note to investors. Information from Taiwan indicates that waiting time for the iPhone Air could extend beyond the 2014 Christmas season.
The latest would be in the initial months of 2015.
But 9to5Mac remains upbeat on the likelihood that the iPhone Air will see the light of the day before 2014 draws to a close, noting that "the report (from Taiwan) says that Apple will launch the device as soon as suppliers can produce good yields of the necessary components."
The Apple-centric site hinted as well that even if the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will enjoy an earlier commercial debut than its bigger sibling, the likelihood is Apple will unveil the two devices simultaneously in September 2014.
And regardless of the separate release dates, the two iPhone 6 builds are expected to showcase premium specs - bannered by a 64-bit A8 chip plus more durable housing thanks to Liquidmetal case and sapphire coating - and killer features stuffed with iOS 8 coming out of the box.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast