San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich Wins 3rd NBA Coach of the Year Award
By James Patrick Quizon | April 23, 2014 11:30 AM EST
For yet another great regular season, Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs was named the 2014 NBA Coach of the Year on Tuesday winning the award for the third time in his career.
The long-time Spurs head coach won the COY award in 2003 and 2012 and now joins Pat Riley (1990, 1993 and 1997) and Don Nelson (1983, 1985 and 1992) as the only three-time winners.
NBA: San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks
"This award with Coach Auerbach here belongs to a lot of people," Popovich said in an ESPN article. “I'm honored and very thankful.”
"When you win an award, it gets down to the players. Players do the work, and players do the winning. They've been unbelievable for me, allowed me to coach them for a long time, and without their play, their diligence and their professionalism, I know this wouldn't happen."
Popovich towed the Spurs to a 62-20 win-loss record in his 18th season with the Spurs and more impressively has led the Spurs to its 15th straight season with at least 50 games won for the franchise.
"I think his steadfast attention to detail and facing the realities of last season's end and immediately getting it behind us was really important," said R.C. Buford, general manager of the Spurs. "And his approach with his staff was different because it was a different staff, but the energy and the leadership we've seen has been consistent throughout his time as a coach."
“Pop” got 59 first-place votes for 380 points from the balloting of a panel of members of the media. Jeff Hornacek (Phoenix Suns) placed 2nd; Tom Thibodeau (Chicago Bulls) in 3rd; Steve Clifford (Charlotte Bobcats) in 4th; and Dwane Casey (Toronto Raptors) in 5th.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown