San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich Wins 3rd NBA Coach of the Year Award
By James Patrick Quizon | April 23, 2014 11:30 AM EST
For yet another great regular season, Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs was named the 2014 NBA Coach of the Year on Tuesday winning the award for the third time in his career.
The long-time Spurs head coach won the COY award in 2003 and 2012 and now joins Pat Riley (1990, 1993 and 1997) and Don Nelson (1983, 1985 and 1992) as the only three-time winners.
NBA: San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks
"This award with Coach Auerbach here belongs to a lot of people," Popovich said in an ESPN article. “I'm honored and very thankful.”
"When you win an award, it gets down to the players. Players do the work, and players do the winning. They've been unbelievable for me, allowed me to coach them for a long time, and without their play, their diligence and their professionalism, I know this wouldn't happen."
Popovich towed the Spurs to a 62-20 win-loss record in his 18th season with the Spurs and more impressively has led the Spurs to its 15th straight season with at least 50 games won for the franchise.
"I think his steadfast attention to detail and facing the realities of last season's end and immediately getting it behind us was really important," said R.C. Buford, general manager of the Spurs. "And his approach with his staff was different because it was a different staff, but the energy and the leadership we've seen has been consistent throughout his time as a coach."
“Pop” got 59 first-place votes for 380 points from the balloting of a panel of members of the media. Jeff Hornacek (Phoenix Suns) placed 2nd; Tom Thibodeau (Chicago Bulls) in 3rd; Steve Clifford (Charlotte Bobcats) in 4th; and Dwane Casey (Toronto Raptors) in 5th.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies