New UFO-Shaped Apple Headquarters to Have 1,000 Shared Bikes, Use 30% Less Energy
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 23, 2014 8:47 AM EST
The rising new Apple headquarters in Cupertino, California, promises not just to be an architectural landmark with its unique UFO-shaped design, but also a showcase of green technology.
A new video of the edifice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6_XkUFpAc) released recently by the tech giant provided more details into the sustainability and environmental design of the campus.
By using natural air 75 per cent of the time to cool the campus, the headquarters is expected to save a lot on electricity bills. It would also tap a lot of solar energy by installing solar panels on its roof and other renewable energy sources.
A unique feature of the campus would be the availability of 1,000 shared bikes for moving around the headquarters covering 2.8 million square foot space that would serve as office of about 13,000 Apple employees. It would include accommodation for some of the company's workers.
The building is scheduled to finish and ready for move in by 2016.
The release of the video is timed with global celebration of Earth Day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal