Clive Palmer’s Party Could Determine Swing Vote on Carbon Tax Repeal
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 23, 2014 8:20 AM EST
The political party of Australian billionaire Clive Palmer may be young and new, but it could possibly hold the swing vote in the upcoming federal election in November.
Mr Palmer threatened on Tuesday to block the carbon and mining taxes repeal initiative by the Abbott government if Environment Minister Greg Hunt would continue blackmailing the party.
"They are doing this really as a tactic - like the kids wanting to get their way. But if they are going to adopt a tactic like that, we're going to have to reconsider our position when it comes to the mining tax and carbon tax," Mr Palmer said.
He called the Coalition's Direct Action Climate Change policy as a token gesture only from the Abbott government and suggested that funding for the project be used instead on age pension which the coalition government plans to move permanently from 67 to 70.
Mr Hunt had stated that attempts by Opposition senators to block the climate change measures linked to the budget bill could result in a constitutional crisis. The plan would offer subsidies to companies that are carbon intensive to cut their emissions and has allocated $3.2 billion by 2018.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date