William Shatner On Why He Live-Tweets ‘Supernatural’ & Other Sci-Fi Shows
By Anne Lu | April 22, 2014 11:48 PM EST
“Star Trek” ultimate star William Shatner has an undeniable presence on Twitter. He is known as a recent live-tweeter of “Supernatural” and, as of a few weeks ago, other The CW shows. He isn’t on the network’s payroll; he’s doing it just for the heck of it.
Everyone who is in the “Supernatural” fandom knows that Shatner has a playful non-relationship with the show’s Misha Collins. Their online bantering is both amusing to their fans and baffling to those who aren’t familiar with their quips.
Nevertheless, fans can count on Shatner to offer his fresh and hilarious take on the fantasy show through his tweets.
And the other The CW shows were jealous, so they asked him to live-tweet their shows as well. He has been live-tweeting the shows “The100,” “Star Crossed,” and “The Tomorrow People” since.
How did this all start, though?
Shatner explained via email to the Washington Post how he became the go-to tweeter of such sci-fi series today.
According to him, it all started with his friendship with Collins, who has directed an episode of “Supernatural” for the first time. Shatner live-tweeted Collins’ directorial debut episode titled “Mother’s Little Helper” when it aired in March.
“Being the ‘older’ actor guy on Twitter, I’m always up for encouraging new actors and starting conversations,” he told the paper. “I jokingly ‘threatened’ to live tweet along with him and he accepted. Thus, my career as a live tweeter was born.”
Then “The Tomorrow People” stars wanted Shatner’s tweeting expertise as well. They contacted the 83-year-old actor to ask if he would like to live-tweet their show.
“Being the ham that I am I agreed. BUT, this time I had a price,” he wrote.
The price was anything that the cast members have signed and donated for Shatner’s upcoming charity event, the Priceline.com Hollywood Charity Horse Show silent auction. Signed items from celebrities are apparently big sellers in auctions, and Shatner wants them to raise funds.
With small price to pay for such big endorsement from Shatner, the cast members agreed. He also watched the show’s lead-in, “Star-Crossed,” to live-tweet both shows
Shatner’s tweeting efforts have made a huge impact to the ratings of The CW shows. The New York Post credited the veteran actor for the increased viewership of both “The Tomorrow People” and “Star-Crossed.”
Soon, “The 100” also asked for his help, which, “of course I agreed (one can’t show favouritism.)”
Fans of other The CW shows like “Beauty and the Beast” are apparently asking Shatner for his help as well, and it appears that he is willing to do that.
He said that he’s happy to help the U.S. network because it “seems to be the last bastion of Science Fiction shows on broadcast television so I am obviously very interested in ensuring the genre on TV stays alive.”
He added, “If you’re a network exec and in the market for a Live Tweeter – Call me! ;-)”
Here are some of Shatner’s tweets:
Prediction: he comes back as king of the mutants to wreak havoc in a few episodes. #The100
— William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) April 10, 2014
Wow this guy's tie knot is humongous! #StarCrossed — William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) April 8, 2014
.@mishacollins I did see a preview. Apparently he and his lover angel are into bondage. And thankfully lover angel gagged him!
— William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) April 15, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]