William Shatner On Why He Live-Tweets ‘Supernatural’ & Other Sci-Fi Shows
By Anne Lu | April 22, 2014 11:48 PM EST
“Star Trek” ultimate star William Shatner has an undeniable presence on Twitter. He is known as a recent live-tweeter of “Supernatural” and, as of a few weeks ago, other The CW shows. He isn’t on the network’s payroll; he’s doing it just for the heck of it.
Everyone who is in the “Supernatural” fandom knows that Shatner has a playful non-relationship with the show’s Misha Collins. Their online bantering is both amusing to their fans and baffling to those who aren’t familiar with their quips.
Nevertheless, fans can count on Shatner to offer his fresh and hilarious take on the fantasy show through his tweets.
And the other The CW shows were jealous, so they asked him to live-tweet their shows as well. He has been live-tweeting the shows “The100,” “Star Crossed,” and “The Tomorrow People” since.
How did this all start, though?
Shatner explained via email to the Washington Post how he became the go-to tweeter of such sci-fi series today.
According to him, it all started with his friendship with Collins, who has directed an episode of “Supernatural” for the first time. Shatner live-tweeted Collins’ directorial debut episode titled “Mother’s Little Helper” when it aired in March.
“Being the ‘older’ actor guy on Twitter, I’m always up for encouraging new actors and starting conversations,” he told the paper. “I jokingly ‘threatened’ to live tweet along with him and he accepted. Thus, my career as a live tweeter was born.”
Then “The Tomorrow People” stars wanted Shatner’s tweeting expertise as well. They contacted the 83-year-old actor to ask if he would like to live-tweet their show.
“Being the ham that I am I agreed. BUT, this time I had a price,” he wrote.
The price was anything that the cast members have signed and donated for Shatner’s upcoming charity event, the Priceline.com Hollywood Charity Horse Show silent auction. Signed items from celebrities are apparently big sellers in auctions, and Shatner wants them to raise funds.
With small price to pay for such big endorsement from Shatner, the cast members agreed. He also watched the show’s lead-in, “Star-Crossed,” to live-tweet both shows
Shatner’s tweeting efforts have made a huge impact to the ratings of The CW shows. The New York Post credited the veteran actor for the increased viewership of both “The Tomorrow People” and “Star-Crossed.”
Soon, “The 100” also asked for his help, which, “of course I agreed (one can’t show favouritism.)”
Fans of other The CW shows like “Beauty and the Beast” are apparently asking Shatner for his help as well, and it appears that he is willing to do that.
He said that he’s happy to help the U.S. network because it “seems to be the last bastion of Science Fiction shows on broadcast television so I am obviously very interested in ensuring the genre on TV stays alive.”
He added, “If you’re a network exec and in the market for a Live Tweeter – Call me! ;-)”
Here are some of Shatner’s tweets:
Prediction: he comes back as king of the mutants to wreak havoc in a few episodes. #The100
— William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) April 10, 2014
Wow this guy's tie knot is humongous! #StarCrossed — William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) April 8, 2014
.@mishacollins I did see a preview. Apparently he and his lover angel are into bondage. And thankfully lover angel gagged him!
— William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) April 15, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family