America Shot Down Missing Malaysia Plane MH370 and Kept it Secret? Conspiracy Theory Goes Viral
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 22, 2014 9:54 PM EST
It is still not clear on what exactly happened to the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, more than 45 days after it mysteriously disappeared into thin air, but there is no respite to the number of theories coming up to explain the mystery.
Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: a new theory claiming America possibly shot down the plane, is going viral on the internet. (Photo: Reuters)
While the uncertainty about finding out what went wrong or how the plane exactly disappeared has given rise to numerous conspiracy theories in the last few weeks, the latest one doing the rounds is getting much attention from internet users.
John Chuckman, a former oil company executive turned author has suggested America could have shot down MH370, and is now possibly trying to cover it up. As bizarre and unlikely it might sound, some feel the theory can neither be substantiated nor totally negated, given the total blackout of knowledge we seem to be suffering from regarding this extraordinary case. Hence, as fanciful and straight-out-from-a-suspense-thriller-novel it might sound to be, it deserves a cursory look, just as the other theories did, including the one involving aliens.
"Could it be that the United States shot down Flight MH370, either accidentally or deliberately, and now wants to keep it secret?" writes Chuckman in Opednews.com. "The possibility of recovery of the full wreckage, even if its location were found, from 4 miles under the sea amongst underwater mountains is extremely remote at best, so the United States can remain confident that physical evidence will never emerge.
"There would be nothing unprecedented in such an act: on at least 3 occasions, regrettably, America's military has shot down civilian airliners, only admitting eventually to the one they could not hide."
Chuckman cites four examples of how Americans had shot down flights in the past. Iran Air Flight 655 was shot down by USS Vincennes in Iranian waters during the Iraq-Iran War (1988), killing 290 people, and the US never admitted to doing it, he says. In the second instance, there appeared to be no motive for bombing Pan Am Flight 103, killing 259 people and 11 on the ground, later the same year by unknown people.
Third, the writer claims that TWA Flight 800 over the East Coast of the United States was most probably a victim of a shipboard American anti-aircraft missile being accidentally released. He also goes on to say that the fourth hijacked plane of 9/11, United Flight 93, that crashed over Pennsylvania was most certainly shot down by an air-to-air missile from a fighter plane.
It is still unknown why flight MH370 suddenly turned off its communications, changed its course dramatically and flew low. Yet, it is extremely unlikely that America's military intelligence eyes would have really missed the plane. This is especially because the new path of the plane appeared to be possibly targeting Diego Garcia as the destination - the place which is kept top secret.
MH370 mysteriously vanished midair from the civilian radar while flying between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing on 8 March with 239 people onboard. A six-week search over the southern Indian Ocean, where experts believe the plane possibly crashed, is yet to yield any tangible results even as the Malaysian government has been criticized by the passenger's family members of hiding some information from them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon