Lok Sabha Elections 2014: TN CM Says She is Better Than Gujarat CM; Will Modi React to Jaya's One-upmanship?
By Rama Mohan | April 22, 2014 7:50 PM EST
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on 21 April claimed that she is better than Narendra Modi, the prime ministerial nominee of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), in rendering better administration to people. To substantiate her claim, she quoted statistics from Human Development Index.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, the star campaigner of AIADMK
Jayalalithaa, General Secretary of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK), wound up her 51-day whirlwind canvassing in 40 Lok Sabha constituencies in both Tamil Nadu (39) and Puducherry (one), where the election is scheduled to be held on Thursday, 24 April. She solicited a complete majority of votes for her party candidates, to make AIADMK a key player at the central government after this general election.
In her campaign, she attacked the Karunanidhi-led Dravida Munnetra Kazhagan (DMK) for its failure to safeguard the interests of Sri Lankan Tamils and Indian fishermen from the Lankan government. She also urged the electorate to not waste their right to vote by casting it to BJP. She said that Tamil Nadu is ahead of Gujarat in several matters, including the governance of the state.
Reading out comparative figures pertaining to law and order position both in TN and Gujarat, Jayalalithaa claimed that atrocities on women and caste, religion-related crimes and infant mortality rate were very less in her state than in Gujarat. She simply brushed aside Modi's model of development as a mere media hype, and touted TN's as the real one. The TN CM also claimed that she gave the best governance when compared to Modi. The growth in Tamil Nadu was inclusive which reached all sections of the society, including the poor, drown-trodden and oppressed, she said.
BJP, which has been trying to develop its base in the southern states, has got into a pre-election alliance with five regional parties in Tamil Nadu but could not clinch a pact with either Jayalalithaa's AIADMK or Karunanidhi's DMK. Till now, both Jayalalithaa's AIADMK and Modi's BJP have refrained from charging against each other. Now that the AIADMK chief has crossed that line of restrainment, it has to be seen how Modi will react to Jayalalithaa's one-upmanship. Modi is on a whirlwind canvassing for BJP-TDP alliance in Andhra Pradesh on 22 April.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase