Liverpool FC News: Boss Hails Reds Midfielder as 'Best Young Player in Europe'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 22, 2014 7:30 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was all praises over his midfielder Raheem Sterling following their 3-2 victory against Norwich last Sunday in the Premier League.
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling celebrates his second goal against Norwich City during their English Premier League soccer match at Carrow Road in Norwich
The youngster broke the deadlock just four minutes after kick-off with a thunderous long-range effort from outside the box to the left-top corner, leaving Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy helpless.
With just six minutes gone by, he was able to thread the needle from the left flank with a low through-ball that found the foot of striker Luis Suarez.
Just when everyone thought he was done for the day, the 19-year-old England international weaved though the opposition's defence from the back to deliver a fantastic left-footed strike.
"I think he is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment, and he is still only 19. It is ridiculous," Rodgers told the Daily Star.
"He is just an incredibly talented young player but apart from his skills the things that I have been most impressed with is his sheer football intelligence."
"He has been playing recently for us at the tip of a midfield diamond, just behind the front players, when he used to be known as just a regular wide player."
"But he has shown this season that he is so much more than that and I think he can become a really great player. He really is something to see."
"His second goal, when he ran more than half the length of the pitch before scoring, was fantastic and his ball to Luis Suarez for his goal, phew, that was the pass of a top midfield player."
With three more fixtures left, the Merseyside outfit will need only four more points to clinch the Premiership title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2