Liverpool FC News: Boss Hails Reds Midfielder as 'Best Young Player in Europe'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 22, 2014 7:30 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was all praises over his midfielder Raheem Sterling following their 3-2 victory against Norwich last Sunday in the Premier League.
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling celebrates his second goal against Norwich City during their English Premier League soccer match at Carrow Road in Norwich
The youngster broke the deadlock just four minutes after kick-off with a thunderous long-range effort from outside the box to the left-top corner, leaving Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy helpless.
With just six minutes gone by, he was able to thread the needle from the left flank with a low through-ball that found the foot of striker Luis Suarez.
Just when everyone thought he was done for the day, the 19-year-old England international weaved though the opposition's defence from the back to deliver a fantastic left-footed strike.
"I think he is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment, and he is still only 19. It is ridiculous," Rodgers told the Daily Star.
"He is just an incredibly talented young player but apart from his skills the things that I have been most impressed with is his sheer football intelligence."
"He has been playing recently for us at the tip of a midfield diamond, just behind the front players, when he used to be known as just a regular wide player."
"But he has shown this season that he is so much more than that and I think he can become a really great player. He really is something to see."
"His second goal, when he ran more than half the length of the pitch before scoring, was fantastic and his ball to Luis Suarez for his goal, phew, that was the pass of a top midfield player."
With three more fixtures left, the Merseyside outfit will need only four more points to clinch the Premiership title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS