Liverpool FC News: Boss Hails Reds Midfielder as 'Best Young Player in Europe'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 22, 2014 7:30 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was all praises over his midfielder Raheem Sterling following their 3-2 victory against Norwich last Sunday in the Premier League.
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling celebrates his second goal against Norwich City during their English Premier League soccer match at Carrow Road in Norwich
Liverpool FC Transfer News: Agent of Reds Striker in Talks with Real Madrid for £90million Summer Move
Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Near Signing Madrid Forward for £35million as Discussions Take Place
The youngster broke the deadlock just four minutes after kick-off with a thunderous long-range effort from outside the box to the left-top corner, leaving Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy helpless.
With just six minutes gone by, he was able to thread the needle from the left flank with a low through-ball that found the foot of striker Luis Suarez.
Just when everyone thought he was done for the day, the 19-year-old England international weaved though the opposition's defence from the back to deliver a fantastic left-footed strike.
"I think he is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment, and he is still only 19. It is ridiculous," Rodgers told the Daily Star.
"He is just an incredibly talented young player but apart from his skills the things that I have been most impressed with is his sheer football intelligence."
"He has been playing recently for us at the tip of a midfield diamond, just behind the front players, when he used to be known as just a regular wide player."
"But he has shown this season that he is so much more than that and I think he can become a really great player. He really is something to see."
"His second goal, when he ran more than half the length of the pitch before scoring, was fantastic and his ball to Luis Suarez for his goal, phew, that was the pass of a top midfield player."
With three more fixtures left, the Merseyside outfit will need only four more points to clinch the Premiership title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet