Liverpool FC News: Boss Hails Reds Midfielder as 'Best Young Player in Europe'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 22, 2014 7:30 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was all praises over his midfielder Raheem Sterling following their 3-2 victory against Norwich last Sunday in the Premier League.
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling celebrates his second goal against Norwich City during their English Premier League soccer match at Carrow Road in Norwich
The youngster broke the deadlock just four minutes after kick-off with a thunderous long-range effort from outside the box to the left-top corner, leaving Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy helpless.
With just six minutes gone by, he was able to thread the needle from the left flank with a low through-ball that found the foot of striker Luis Suarez.
Just when everyone thought he was done for the day, the 19-year-old England international weaved though the opposition's defence from the back to deliver a fantastic left-footed strike.
"I think he is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment, and he is still only 19. It is ridiculous," Rodgers told the Daily Star.
"He is just an incredibly talented young player but apart from his skills the things that I have been most impressed with is his sheer football intelligence."
"He has been playing recently for us at the tip of a midfield diamond, just behind the front players, when he used to be known as just a regular wide player."
"But he has shown this season that he is so much more than that and I think he can become a really great player. He really is something to see."
"His second goal, when he ran more than half the length of the pitch before scoring, was fantastic and his ball to Luis Suarez for his goal, phew, that was the pass of a top midfield player."
With three more fixtures left, the Merseyside outfit will need only four more points to clinch the Premiership title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales