Liverpool FC News: Boss Hails Reds Midfielder as 'Best Young Player in Europe'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 22, 2014 7:30 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was all praises over his midfielder Raheem Sterling following their 3-2 victory against Norwich last Sunday in the Premier League.
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling celebrates his second goal against Norwich City during their English Premier League soccer match at Carrow Road in Norwich
The youngster broke the deadlock just four minutes after kick-off with a thunderous long-range effort from outside the box to the left-top corner, leaving Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy helpless.
With just six minutes gone by, he was able to thread the needle from the left flank with a low through-ball that found the foot of striker Luis Suarez.
Just when everyone thought he was done for the day, the 19-year-old England international weaved though the opposition's defence from the back to deliver a fantastic left-footed strike.
"I think he is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment, and he is still only 19. It is ridiculous," Rodgers told the Daily Star.
"He is just an incredibly talented young player but apart from his skills the things that I have been most impressed with is his sheer football intelligence."
"He has been playing recently for us at the tip of a midfield diamond, just behind the front players, when he used to be known as just a regular wide player."
"But he has shown this season that he is so much more than that and I think he can become a really great player. He really is something to see."
"His second goal, when he ran more than half the length of the pitch before scoring, was fantastic and his ball to Luis Suarez for his goal, phew, that was the pass of a top midfield player."
With three more fixtures left, the Merseyside outfit will need only four more points to clinch the Premiership title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports