NBA Playoffs Results and Highlights: Grizzlies Stun Thunder, Clippers Overpower Warriors
By Tarish Bhat | April 22, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Memphis Grizzlies defeated Oklahoma City Thunder 111-105 in overtime to level the seven-game series 1-1 in the NBA playoffs. Both teams were tied at 99 points by the end of the fourth quarter, but Grizzlies muscled their way in the extra five minutes to even the series.
Grizzlies squared the NBA playoff series by beating Thunders in the second game. Reuters
With 26 seconds left in overtime, Zack Randolph put Grizzlies in the lead with a two-pointer. Later, Courtney Lee increased the lead to four points with two free throws. After Kevin Durant missed a crucial three-pointer for the Thunder, Randolph sealed the game by converting two free throws.
Earlier, Thunder made a superb comeback by taking the lead in the fourth quarter, after trailing by nine points. However, Grizzlies kept their composure and took care of the game in OT.
Randolph was the star performer for the Grizzlies with 25 points, while Mike Conley stamped his mark with 12 assists and 19 points. Durant scored 36 points and 11 rebounds, whereas Russell Westbrook added 29 points for the Thunder.
Thunder coach Scott Brooks credited the Grizzlies for squaring the series and added his team couldn't capitalise on key moments.
''We missed some shots that we could make,'' Brooks said. ''Give them some credit. They did a good job of putting their hands on us and we didn't free ourselves up enough. I thought in the second half, our defense and offense gave us a chance. Unfortunately, we didn't make a couple of key plays down the stretch.''
Dave Joerger, who registered his first win in the playoffs as a coach, said it was a wonderful game and his players performed really well.
''Tremendous game to be a part of,'' Joerger said. ''I honestly can tell you that, whether you win or lose. I know that we won. But I thought it was a great game to be a part of. The game was never over. There was a lot of great plays and not just the-ball-going-in kind of plays - loose ball, passion, and playoff basketball.''
In the second game of the day, the Los Angeles Clippers registered a dominating 138-98 win over the Golden State Warriors to even the series. Power forward Blake Griffin, who played for less than 20 minutes in Game 1 because of foul trouble, made the difference with 35 points and zero fouls.
Unlike the first game, Clippers dominated all four quarters and built a 26-point lead by the end of the second. The hosts crossed the hundred points mark in the third and further stretched their lead to 32 points. The game was all over from that point, so both teams decided to field reserve players in the fourth quarter.
DeAndre Jones finished the game with 11 points and five blocks, while Chris Paul had 12 points and 10 assists. Stephen Curry added 20 points in the third quarter and ended the game with 24 points for the Warriors.
The third and fourth game will be played in Oakland on Thursday and Sunday, respectively.
Catch the highlights of Clippers v Warriors game HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories