NBA Playoffs Results and Highlights: Grizzlies Stun Thunder, Clippers Overpower Warriors
By Tarish Bhat | April 22, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Memphis Grizzlies defeated Oklahoma City Thunder 111-105 in overtime to level the seven-game series 1-1 in the NBA playoffs. Both teams were tied at 99 points by the end of the fourth quarter, but Grizzlies muscled their way in the extra five minutes to even the series.
Grizzlies squared the NBA playoff series by beating Thunders in the second game. Reuters
With 26 seconds left in overtime, Zack Randolph put Grizzlies in the lead with a two-pointer. Later, Courtney Lee increased the lead to four points with two free throws. After Kevin Durant missed a crucial three-pointer for the Thunder, Randolph sealed the game by converting two free throws.
Earlier, Thunder made a superb comeback by taking the lead in the fourth quarter, after trailing by nine points. However, Grizzlies kept their composure and took care of the game in OT.
Randolph was the star performer for the Grizzlies with 25 points, while Mike Conley stamped his mark with 12 assists and 19 points. Durant scored 36 points and 11 rebounds, whereas Russell Westbrook added 29 points for the Thunder.
Thunder coach Scott Brooks credited the Grizzlies for squaring the series and added his team couldn't capitalise on key moments.
''We missed some shots that we could make,'' Brooks said. ''Give them some credit. They did a good job of putting their hands on us and we didn't free ourselves up enough. I thought in the second half, our defense and offense gave us a chance. Unfortunately, we didn't make a couple of key plays down the stretch.''
Dave Joerger, who registered his first win in the playoffs as a coach, said it was a wonderful game and his players performed really well.
''Tremendous game to be a part of,'' Joerger said. ''I honestly can tell you that, whether you win or lose. I know that we won. But I thought it was a great game to be a part of. The game was never over. There was a lot of great plays and not just the-ball-going-in kind of plays - loose ball, passion, and playoff basketball.''
In the second game of the day, the Los Angeles Clippers registered a dominating 138-98 win over the Golden State Warriors to even the series. Power forward Blake Griffin, who played for less than 20 minutes in Game 1 because of foul trouble, made the difference with 35 points and zero fouls.
Unlike the first game, Clippers dominated all four quarters and built a 26-point lead by the end of the second. The hosts crossed the hundred points mark in the third and further stretched their lead to 32 points. The game was all over from that point, so both teams decided to field reserve players in the fourth quarter.
DeAndre Jones finished the game with 11 points and five blocks, while Chris Paul had 12 points and 10 assists. Stephen Curry added 20 points in the third quarter and ended the game with 24 points for the Warriors.
The third and fourth game will be played in Oakland on Thursday and Sunday, respectively.
Catch the highlights of Clippers v Warriors game HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales