'Mean Girls' Turns 10; See How Teens Today React to the Movie [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 22, 2014 4:14 PM EST
Are you a member of a "Mean Girls" cult? If you are not then today might be the right time to check out on what you have missed. Apparently, a worldwide following has been practically launched after the popular teenage comedy movie was released in 2004 and operates up until today.
Actress Lindsay Lohan introduces singer Miley Cyrus during the 2013 Z100 Jingle Ball in New York December 13, 2013. Reuters/Lucas Jackson
Mean Girls, a book by Rosalind Wiseman, became really popular when it was adapted into film. Tina Fey wrote the screenplay while Mark Walters directed it. The movie has been widely popular, particularly to teenagers as the story greatly caters to high school students.
On April 20, a video created and directed by Benny and Rafi Fine (The Fine Brothers) was posted on YouTube to show just how Mean Girls has been a success after its release that even until today the teens are hooked to the movie.
"Every teenage girls and boys need to watch this," 18-year-old Rachel declared in the video clip.
In line with Mean Girls 10th year anniversary, the video clip tackled about what the movie is all about and how the teens today react to a movie that was shown 10 years ago. The seven-minute video shows teenagers from 14 to 18 years of age, giving their reactions to the movie.
"Every teenage girl in high school can relate to some part of that movie. You gonna be labeled, you gonna be identified and you're gonna be put in a click. It's terrible but something that just happens in high school," Rachel added in the middle of the clip.
To these kids, it seemed so easy and natural. But it appears that in a TIME report, a simple description of Mean Girls as a teen comedy movie has to be questioned.
"The film is widely considered to be a comedy or even a "teen movie," but in fact, it is neither. Mean Girls is American mythology," the report says.
Are the teenagers wrong? According to the report, Mean Girls "adheres to the critical superstructure known as the monomyth." According to 20th-century mythologist Joseph Campbell on Wiki, "monomyth" is a pattern where:
"A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man."
Apparently, according to TIME, Cady Heron, played by Linsay Lohan, was the "hero" while the "supernatural wonder" was the girl's world and The Plastics, the movie's A-list girl clique, was the "fabulous forces."
However, despite questions on what the movie is really all about, the teens on the video clip, which has now over a million YouTube views, believes that Mean Girls might simply be about "girl drama."
And at the end of the movie, one teenager even suggested if maybe the producers of Mean Girls can think of producing another movie. This time, it's going to "Mean Boys." Why not?
WATCH: Teens React to"Mean Girls"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight