'Mean Girls' Turns 10; See How Teens Today React to the Movie [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 22, 2014 4:14 PM EST
Are you a member of a "Mean Girls" cult? If you are not then today might be the right time to check out on what you have missed. Apparently, a worldwide following has been practically launched after the popular teenage comedy movie was released in 2004 and operates up until today.
Actress Lindsay Lohan introduces singer Miley Cyrus during the 2013 Z100 Jingle Ball in New York December 13, 2013. Reuters/Lucas Jackson
Mean Girls, a book by Rosalind Wiseman, became really popular when it was adapted into film. Tina Fey wrote the screenplay while Mark Walters directed it. The movie has been widely popular, particularly to teenagers as the story greatly caters to high school students.
On April 20, a video created and directed by Benny and Rafi Fine (The Fine Brothers) was posted on YouTube to show just how Mean Girls has been a success after its release that even until today the teens are hooked to the movie.
"Every teenage girls and boys need to watch this," 18-year-old Rachel declared in the video clip.
In line with Mean Girls 10th year anniversary, the video clip tackled about what the movie is all about and how the teens today react to a movie that was shown 10 years ago. The seven-minute video shows teenagers from 14 to 18 years of age, giving their reactions to the movie.
"Every teenage girl in high school can relate to some part of that movie. You gonna be labeled, you gonna be identified and you're gonna be put in a click. It's terrible but something that just happens in high school," Rachel added in the middle of the clip.
To these kids, it seemed so easy and natural. But it appears that in a TIME report, a simple description of Mean Girls as a teen comedy movie has to be questioned.
"The film is widely considered to be a comedy or even a "teen movie," but in fact, it is neither. Mean Girls is American mythology," the report says.
Are the teenagers wrong? According to the report, Mean Girls "adheres to the critical superstructure known as the monomyth." According to 20th-century mythologist Joseph Campbell on Wiki, "monomyth" is a pattern where:
"A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man."
Apparently, according to TIME, Cady Heron, played by Linsay Lohan, was the "hero" while the "supernatural wonder" was the girl's world and The Plastics, the movie's A-list girl clique, was the "fabulous forces."
However, despite questions on what the movie is really all about, the teens on the video clip, which has now over a million YouTube views, believes that Mean Girls might simply be about "girl drama."
And at the end of the movie, one teenager even suggested if maybe the producers of Mean Girls can think of producing another movie. This time, it's going to "Mean Boys." Why not?
WATCH: Teens React to"Mean Girls"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon