Expert Confirms 10,000-Year-Old Mastodon Tooth Found by a Boy in Michigan
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | April 22, 2014 3:57 PM EST
A herpetologist and Wildlife Outreach Specialist for the Department of Zoology and Michigan State University (MSU) Museum confirmed the authenticity of the 10,000-year-old mastodon tooth found by a nine-year old boy in their backyard.
The expert Mr. Jim Harding emailed the family of Phillip Stoll also known as Huckleberry Phil that the tooth he unearthed at the creek near their home in Windsor Township, Michigan was the top portion of the teeth which perhaps had been removed from the animal's body at certain a point in its life.
According to a report from CNN, Professor Harding emailed the Stolls family. He stated: "This is indeed a mastodon tooth. Apparently (it is) the upper surface, broken off at the roots."
The large tooth is coloured brown with six peaks and is around 8 inches long. Professor Harding explained that there was plethora of mastodon beasts walking around the lands of Michigan more than 10,000 years ago. "They would look like a hairy elephant if you saw one today," he stated.
Stoll was walking at the creek with a friend with just his bare feet when he stepped on the sharp item with a strange shape. He took the item home and had her mom, Heidi Stoll take a look at it.
Mrs. Stoll stated that she had the creeps while holding the odd item in her hands for a few minutes. "It looked like a tooth. It looked like there was something like gum tissue, a little bulgy thing around the top," she said.
The mother and son tandem has sought Professor Harding's expertise in their quest to find the answers on the real identity of the rare find. With the expert's confirmation, the large tooth is now part of the Stoll Family's home-school lessons with her mom teaching the six children about the life of mastodon animals.
With Professor Harding's confirmation of the mastodon tooth, Stoll's penchant for prehistoric life is reinforced. He stated: "It's really neat how it looks like a giant tooth. It was fun trying to figure out what it was. My mom was surprised."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Virgin Atlantic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes At Test Flight, 1 Dead
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists