Nokia Lumia 2520 to Pose Electric Shock Risk, Sale Suspended in Europe
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 22, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Nokia has officially released a statement refraining the sales and use of Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet in the European and other countries due to a faulty charger posing a risk of an electric shock.
During Nokia's internal quality check, the company identified a defect on its AC-300 chargers which were developed by third-party providers. In its press release, Nokia said there are 30,000 Nokia Lumia 2520 chargers affected, including 600 travel charger units that reached the U.S. market.
Nokia's former chief executive and the company's head of devices, Stephen Elop, displays the Lumia 2520 tablet during its launch in Abu Dhabi
The AC-300 charger is designed to be exclusively used for Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet model. In its quality control, the Finnish phone maker found the plastic cover of the AC-300 charger's exchangeable plug could possibly loosen and separate. When loosen and separated, the charger components may cause an electric shock when touched while it is plugged in a live socket.
According to Jo Harlow, Nokia's executive vice president of Smart Devices, there were no reported casualty due to the faulty Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet charger. She pointed out that "product quality and safety" are Nokia's top priorities for its millions of consumers.
In behalf of the company, Harlow apologized to the owners of Lumia 2520 tablet saying the company is "working with urgency to minimize the inconvenience."
Lumia 2520 is the first Windows tablet under Nokia's banner announced in October 2013 and officially released in December.
It has reached consumers from different countries such as Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Russia, Switzerland, the UK and the U.S. But with the travel charger's quality issue, sales of the gadget have been put into halt until further notice to resume its distribution.
Upon its launch, Nokia Lumia 2520 got a positive review from Engadget, a Web magazine, citing its modern and lightweight design. The gadget is a good option for Windows fans looking for a quality tablet with desirable features.
Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet specifications include a 10.1-inch ClearBlack, IPS LCD display with a full HD resolution (1920 x 1080), and 6.7 MP primary camera. It runs with Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and Windows RT 8.1 and comes with a built-in memory of 32 GB.
The price of Lumia 2520 starts at AU$699 for 4G LTE unlocked tablet. For consumers waiting updates for the status of Lumia 2520's charger, they can refer for more information through this link.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop