Nokia Lumia 2520 to Pose Electric Shock Risk, Sale Suspended in Europe
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 22, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Nokia has officially released a statement refraining the sales and use of Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet in the European and other countries due to a faulty charger posing a risk of an electric shock.
During Nokia's internal quality check, the company identified a defect on its AC-300 chargers which were developed by third-party providers. In its press release, Nokia said there are 30,000 Nokia Lumia 2520 chargers affected, including 600 travel charger units that reached the U.S. market.
Nokia's former chief executive and the company's head of devices, Stephen Elop, displays the Lumia 2520 tablet during its launch in Abu Dhabi
The AC-300 charger is designed to be exclusively used for Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet model. In its quality control, the Finnish phone maker found the plastic cover of the AC-300 charger's exchangeable plug could possibly loosen and separate. When loosen and separated, the charger components may cause an electric shock when touched while it is plugged in a live socket.
According to Jo Harlow, Nokia's executive vice president of Smart Devices, there were no reported casualty due to the faulty Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet charger. She pointed out that "product quality and safety" are Nokia's top priorities for its millions of consumers.
In behalf of the company, Harlow apologized to the owners of Lumia 2520 tablet saying the company is "working with urgency to minimize the inconvenience."
Lumia 2520 is the first Windows tablet under Nokia's banner announced in October 2013 and officially released in December.
It has reached consumers from different countries such as Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Russia, Switzerland, the UK and the U.S. But with the travel charger's quality issue, sales of the gadget have been put into halt until further notice to resume its distribution.
Upon its launch, Nokia Lumia 2520 got a positive review from Engadget, a Web magazine, citing its modern and lightweight design. The gadget is a good option for Windows fans looking for a quality tablet with desirable features.
Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet specifications include a 10.1-inch ClearBlack, IPS LCD display with a full HD resolution (1920 x 1080), and 6.7 MP primary camera. It runs with Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and Windows RT 8.1 and comes with a built-in memory of 32 GB.
The price of Lumia 2520 starts at AU$699 for 4G LTE unlocked tablet. For consumers waiting updates for the status of Lumia 2520's charger, they can refer for more information through this link.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid