Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Rahul Blames KCR for not Merging TRS with Cong
By Rama Mohan | April 22, 2014 2:24 PM EST
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on 21 April lashed out at Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) and its president K Chandrasekhar Rao for going back on the promise of merging TRS with his party after the Centre announced creation of a new Telangana state. He gave full credit to his mother and party president Sonia Gandhi for making the formation of the new state possible.
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi.
Gandhi was addressing an election rally in Mahabubnagar in Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh (AP), where polling for Lok Sabha and the state Assembly will be held on 30 April. Union Minister Jaipal Reddy is the Congress candidate from the constituency.
Gandhi said that TRS was only hankering for power and has already forgotten its promise to make a dalit as the first chief minister of the new Telangana state. The new state is going to take shape on 2 June. Congress is committed to secularism and would give equal prominence to all sections of society including SCs, STs, OBCs and women, he added.
He also said that if Congress comes to power in Telangana, a tax holiday for 10 years will be given to the new state. The Congress vice-president spoke at length about the party's plans for development of Telangana state like establishment of industrial corridors.
Gandhi said that people of Telangana should decide whether they want a small dream or a big dream. Post the division of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Seemandhra will have their own dreams and Congress is committed to fulfill those dreams, he added.
Referring to China's achievement in consumer goods production, Gandhi stated that Congress will strive for industrial development and bring fame for Made in India brand goods. He hoped that soon a time would come when "Made in Telangana" and "Made in India" brands become well known worldwide.
The new state Telangana needs a government which will have vision for growth-oriented policies. Congress only can implement such polities, he added.
Gandhi also addressed a poll rally in Ramanathapuram in Tamil Nadu before visiting AP, where he said that Congress in TN will fight to come to power. He called upon the electorate to reject regional parties and those parties which grow hatred among people.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown