NBA News: Joakim Noah to be Named 2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Chicago Bulls star center Joakim Noah is the NBA’s 2013-2014 Defensive Player of the Year. Not a surprising choice for a defensive stalwart who anchors one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Bulls insider Aggrey Sam was among the first who broke the news on Twitter:
Bulls to make a major announcement later today. Hearing Jo won Defensive Player of the Year.
— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) April 21, 2014
Noah’s reliable defense has towed the Bulls to the fourth seed in the NBA Playoffs despite missing stars Derrick Rose (injury) and Luol Deng (traded) for majority of the season. The All-Star received 100 of the possible 125 first place votes in the balloting for the award.
Three other big men completed the four other top vote-getters for the DPOY award; Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers) was in second place; DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers) in third; and Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) in fourth. Andre Iguodala and LeBron James also received votes.
Noah dedicated the award to his youth basketball coach, Tyrone Green, who died unexpectedly last week.
“This award goes to somebody who I’ll never forget, somebody who just passed and meant so much to me, who believed in me,” Noah said in a Chicago Tribune article. “Mr. Green, I love you. I appreciate you. And I know you’re smiling down right now really proud. This award goes to you.”
“He just always believed in me. I know I wouldn’t be in this position if it wasn’t for him. It’s hard to talk about because there’s so much going on right now. But that was my guy. And I love him.”
The 9th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft is a two-time All-Star (2013 and 2014) and was part of the NBA All-Defensive First Team in 2013 and NBA All-Defensive Second Team in 2011.
Noah has averages of 12.6 points, 11.3 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.5 blocked shots for the Bulls in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps