NBA News: Joakim Noah to be Named 2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Chicago Bulls star center Joakim Noah is the NBA’s 2013-2014 Defensive Player of the Year. Not a surprising choice for a defensive stalwart who anchors one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Bulls insider Aggrey Sam was among the first who broke the news on Twitter:
Bulls to make a major announcement later today. Hearing Jo won Defensive Player of the Year.
— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) April 21, 2014
Noah’s reliable defense has towed the Bulls to the fourth seed in the NBA Playoffs despite missing stars Derrick Rose (injury) and Luol Deng (traded) for majority of the season. The All-Star received 100 of the possible 125 first place votes in the balloting for the award.
Three other big men completed the four other top vote-getters for the DPOY award; Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers) was in second place; DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers) in third; and Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) in fourth. Andre Iguodala and LeBron James also received votes.
Noah dedicated the award to his youth basketball coach, Tyrone Green, who died unexpectedly last week.
“This award goes to somebody who I’ll never forget, somebody who just passed and meant so much to me, who believed in me,” Noah said in a Chicago Tribune article. “Mr. Green, I love you. I appreciate you. And I know you’re smiling down right now really proud. This award goes to you.”
“He just always believed in me. I know I wouldn’t be in this position if it wasn’t for him. It’s hard to talk about because there’s so much going on right now. But that was my guy. And I love him.”
The 9th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft is a two-time All-Star (2013 and 2014) and was part of the NBA All-Defensive First Team in 2013 and NBA All-Defensive Second Team in 2011.
Noah has averages of 12.6 points, 11.3 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.5 blocked shots for the Bulls in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People