NBA News: Joakim Noah to be Named 2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Chicago Bulls star center Joakim Noah is the NBA’s 2013-2014 Defensive Player of the Year. Not a surprising choice for a defensive stalwart who anchors one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Bulls insider Aggrey Sam was among the first who broke the news on Twitter:
Bulls to make a major announcement later today. Hearing Jo won Defensive Player of the Year.
— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) April 21, 2014
Noah’s reliable defense has towed the Bulls to the fourth seed in the NBA Playoffs despite missing stars Derrick Rose (injury) and Luol Deng (traded) for majority of the season. The All-Star received 100 of the possible 125 first place votes in the balloting for the award.
Three other big men completed the four other top vote-getters for the DPOY award; Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers) was in second place; DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers) in third; and Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) in fourth. Andre Iguodala and LeBron James also received votes.
Noah dedicated the award to his youth basketball coach, Tyrone Green, who died unexpectedly last week.
“This award goes to somebody who I’ll never forget, somebody who just passed and meant so much to me, who believed in me,” Noah said in a Chicago Tribune article. “Mr. Green, I love you. I appreciate you. And I know you’re smiling down right now really proud. This award goes to you.”
“He just always believed in me. I know I wouldn’t be in this position if it wasn’t for him. It’s hard to talk about because there’s so much going on right now. But that was my guy. And I love him.”
The 9th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft is a two-time All-Star (2013 and 2014) and was part of the NBA All-Defensive First Team in 2013 and NBA All-Defensive Second Team in 2011.
Noah has averages of 12.6 points, 11.3 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.5 blocked shots for the Bulls in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet