Hero Motor to Invest $40 Million in Bangladesh Joint-venture
April 22, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Hero Motor Corp Limited (HROM.NS), maker of the Hero motorcycle, will invest $40 million in a new manufacturing plant in Bangladesh in its first overseas joint venture, Pawan Munjal, the company's managing director and chief executive said.
The company signed an agreement on Monday with local automobile company Nitol Niloy Group to start work on the project which will be Hero's first manufacturing plant outside India.
Hero will hold 55 percent in the new joint venture while Nitol will hold 45 percent.
Pawan said that once operational by the second quarter of financial year 2015-16, the plant would have an annual capacity of 150,000 units. He said the aim was for around a 20 percent share of the market in Bangladesh.
Abdul Matlub Ahmad, chairman of Nitol Niloy Group said the joint venture aimed to provide technologically-advanced and fuel-efficient motorcycles for customers in Bangladesh. He told Reuters that the plant would create up to 200,000 (direct and indirect) job opportunities in the country.
Matlub said that Bangladesh's annual motorcycle sales might hit around 1.4 million units in the near future from around 500,000 units at present.
Hero motorcycles account for 50 percent of the total motorcycle market in India, Matlub said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6