Hero Motor to Invest $40 Million in Bangladesh Joint-venture
April 22, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Hero Motor Corp Limited (HROM.NS), maker of the Hero motorcycle, will invest $40 million in a new manufacturing plant in Bangladesh in its first overseas joint venture, Pawan Munjal, the company's managing director and chief executive said.
The company signed an agreement on Monday with local automobile company Nitol Niloy Group to start work on the project which will be Hero's first manufacturing plant outside India.
Hero will hold 55 percent in the new joint venture while Nitol will hold 45 percent.
Pawan said that once operational by the second quarter of financial year 2015-16, the plant would have an annual capacity of 150,000 units. He said the aim was for around a 20 percent share of the market in Bangladesh.
Abdul Matlub Ahmad, chairman of Nitol Niloy Group said the joint venture aimed to provide technologically-advanced and fuel-efficient motorcycles for customers in Bangladesh. He told Reuters that the plant would create up to 200,000 (direct and indirect) job opportunities in the country.
Matlub said that Bangladesh's annual motorcycle sales might hit around 1.4 million units in the near future from around 500,000 units at present.
Hero motorcycles account for 50 percent of the total motorcycle market in India, Matlub said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’