Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/22/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 22, 2014 1:39 PM EST
The Australian share market has resumed trade after the Easter break on a positive note, rising 0.4 per cent in thin trading volumes.
US markets were not closed on Easter Monday so we have taken our lead from the positive 0.3 per cent gained witnessed in the US.
Asian Shares Bounce from 4-week low (Reuters).
It is expected to be a quiet trading week, with the market closed again on Anzac Day. The only major events of note are flash PMI readings from Europe and China, coupled with the release of the Australian inflation figures.
CommSec is tipping inflation rose 0.8 per cent in the March quarter for an annual increase of 3.2 per cent, above the RBA's preferred 2-3 per cent range.
In stock specific news, Oil Search (OSH) is higher, up 0.5 per cent to $8.68 after announcing its PNG LNG project is running ahead of schedule. The oil company produced 1.68 million barrels of oil equivalent (BOW) in the first quarter of its financial year, a 7.7 per cent annual increase. 1Q revenue fell 3.3 per cent on the year to $170.2 million.
Gold miner Newcrest Mining (NCM) shares are lower by 2.3 per cent to $10.01 after the price of gold fell to a two week low during Monday's trade. Hopes China may announce more stimulus for its economy over the weekend were also dashed, sending iron ore lower. Shares in Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) are weaker by 0.3 per cent to $5.315.
So far on the market, 610 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.4 billion. 420 are up, 374 are down and 287 are unchanged.
At 12.10pm AEST the Australian dollar is buying US93.51c. CBA expects further downsides to the greenback over 2014/15 and changed its currency forecasts on Thursday. FX Analysts now expect the AUD to trade around US94c from June through to September, rising to US97c in December. The AUD could reach highs of US99c by March next year.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales