Google Android 5.0 Will Focus on Design: Release Date, Upcoming Features and What to Expect
By Precious Silva | April 22, 2014 12:32 PM EST
Following reports of the Android 4.4.3 update, Android 5.0 has also started making headlines. Whereas the Android mobile operating system has introduced excellent capabilities and functions, many analysts still feel it lacks the design and appeal compared to the iOS. It appears Google wants to change that this time. According to recent reports, the internet giants will be focusing on the design of the Android 5.0 while offering new and improved features.
Google's Android 4.3 operating system, is displayed during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, in this July 24, 2013 file photo. A U.S. appeals court on December 4, 2013 closely questioned Google's claim that Oracle does not enjoy copyright protection over certain parts of the Java programming language. Oracle sued Google in 2010, claiming that Google had improperly incorporated parts of Oracle's Java programming language into the Android operating system. REUTERS/Beck Diefenbach/Files
Apple chose to go for a flat-design with its recent iOS 7. The tech giant removed all the "skeuomorphic" elements transforming the iOS into a Windows-like interface. According to a report by Developer Tech, places have been switched. Apple has been concentrating on improving functionality whereas Google has been concentrating on the design.
The report also cited The Verge's Editor-in-Chief Joshua Topolsky and Android design Chief Matia Duarte talking about Google's focus on design transformation. More of these will be discussed during the company's annual I/O Developer Conference.
Google Developers Blog also uploaded a post talking about the OS design. The blog begins with Google's increasing focus on minimalist design. According to the post:
"When Google launched, it was a crisp white page with a simple search box. You might not have thought there was much in the way of design, but its appearance underscored two of our most important principles: simplicity and usefulness."
The blog also reflected on the design changes made throughout time: "Those principles haven't changed much in fifteen years, but our understanding of what makes great design has-throughout the industry."
Analysts think that the release of the Android 5.0 update will be around June. This is around the same time as the company's I/O event. The conference falls on June 25 to 26 this year. As for the name, there are two reported contenders: Lemon Pie and Lollipop. Throughout the years, Google has named it Android updates related to sweet treats:
- Android 1.0 and 1.1 nocode name
- Android 1.5 Cupcake
- Android 1.6 Donut
- Android 2.0/2.1 Éclair
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 4.1/4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean
- Android 4.4 KitKat
So Lemon Pie or Lollipop should follow this tradition. Some of the reported features of the Android update include:
- New Interface - it appears Google wants to offer a more "cartoony" experience.
- 64-bit architecture - following Apple's A7 chips, Google has reportedly been working on transforming Android into a 64-bit system.
- ART instead of DALVIK - DALVIK instructs the device to recompile a portion of app code whereas ART runtime recompiles following installation of the app. This is a faster recompiling process.
Google has yet to make an official announcement about the mobile OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced