Philippine Budget Carrier Eyes Flights to New Zealand
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 22, 2014 12:01 PM EST
A month after air pact between New Zealand and the Philippines was signed in March, one of the latter's budget carriers has applied to mount flights to the Kiwi nation.
In an application filed before the Philippines' Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), Cebu Air Inc (Cebu Pacific) sought to be recognised as the country's official air carrier to New Zealand. Moreover, it sought approval to operate seven weekly flights.
In March, New Zealand and the Philippines forged an agreement to increase the frequency entitlement to 21 flights per week, a significant jump from the current three flights per week between the two countries.
Philippine Airlines (PAL), one of the country's carriers, is expected to follow suit to its rival's application.
Cebu Pacific's application comes after the Philippines regained in April, after six long years, its much-coveted aviation rating upgrade from U.S. authorities.
The Philippines was given a Category 1 rating by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for complying with international safety standards set by the United Nations' International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
"The return to Category 1 status is based on a March 2014 FAA review of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP). A Category 1 rating means the country's civil aviation authority complies with ICAO standards," the FAA said.
"With the International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) Category 1 rating, the Republic of the Philippines' air carriers can add flights and service to the United States and carry the code of US carriers," it added.
The Cebu Pacific application could prove positive news to the Filipino population that's increasing in New Zealand.
Based on the latest 2013 data released by the New Zealand census office, the Filipino population has reached 40,000, up from over 11,000 in 2001.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015