Google Axes Nexus 10 2, Nexus 7 3 Release Dates to Deliver Nexus 8 in New Form Factor on July 2014 – Report
By Erik Pineda | April 22, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Google 'Nexus 8' tablet appears on Android website.
That the rumoured Nexus 10 2 and Nexus 7 3 are no more was hinted in the latest DigiTimes report, claiming too that Google's sole tablet offering this year will reflect a major redesign effort from the Nexus maker and its device partner from Taiwan.
The jump from Asus to HTC in building the Nexus 8 also implied that "the Internet giant is considering adopting a new design and therefore has switched to a new partner," said DigiTimes, citing its sources from Asian supply chain players.
The 8.9-inch Nexus 8 that will come out of the box with a fresh form-factor could serve too as the final tablet release for Google as the same report suggested that the company will be less aggressive in competing against Apple and other rivals in the tablet market.
"Google is also not very aggressive about its third-generation Nexus tablet since the series has already served the purpose of boosting Android's penetration in the tablet market," said the DigiTimes report.
Practically, the new development redefined Google's tablet thrust in the current year and killed any hopes that the 7-inch and 10-1-inch tablet siblings of the upcoming Nexus 8 will be on hand soon.
The apparent re-focus by Google, however, seems to makes sense as market watchers started pointing to mid-sized slates as the new standard, seemingly sparked by the rollout in late 2013 of the slimmed down 9.7-inch iPad Air from Apple.
Basing on sales numbers by the end of December 2013, the iPad Air has regained its stature as the top tablet money-maker from Apple, snatching back that honour from the 7.9-inch iPad Mini.
So it appears now that Google is pouring its tablet energy and resources on the Nexus 8, which has a screen profile and likely a body-build - expected to be thin and light - that can slug it out with the sexy, powerful and hot-selling iPad Air.
For now, however, the actual make of the HTC-built Nexus 8 remains a mystery though Android fans can easily visualise a vanilla Android-powered slate that is the scaled up version of the critically acclaimed HTC One M8.
Should that be the case, then the next Nexus tablet like the HTC One before it will be wrapped in a metallic casing that serves not only as a stunning skin but also a tough covering for its high-end components inside.
And the hardware inside could be nothing short of the superlatives - likely headlined by a 64-bit Snapdragon processing chip, an equally powerful GPU that fires up the 2K display resolution packed with the 8.9-inch frame, massive battery for longer operating hours, higher built-in memory and generous RAM provisions.
Note that the above Nexus 8 attributes all measure up with the overall iPad Air capabilities.
Lastly, on its release date - the countdown of which should start on July 2014 - the Google Nexus 8 will most likely run on the latest Android, which according to reports would be build 4.5 or 5.0.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports