Google Axes Nexus 10 2, Nexus 7 3 Release Dates to Deliver Nexus 8 in New Form Factor on July 2014 – Report
By Erik Pineda | April 22, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Google 'Nexus 8' tablet appears on Android website.
That the rumoured Nexus 10 2 and Nexus 7 3 are no more was hinted in the latest DigiTimes report, claiming too that Google's sole tablet offering this year will reflect a major redesign effort from the Nexus maker and its device partner from Taiwan.
The jump from Asus to HTC in building the Nexus 8 also implied that "the Internet giant is considering adopting a new design and therefore has switched to a new partner," said DigiTimes, citing its sources from Asian supply chain players.
The 8.9-inch Nexus 8 that will come out of the box with a fresh form-factor could serve too as the final tablet release for Google as the same report suggested that the company will be less aggressive in competing against Apple and other rivals in the tablet market.
"Google is also not very aggressive about its third-generation Nexus tablet since the series has already served the purpose of boosting Android's penetration in the tablet market," said the DigiTimes report.
Practically, the new development redefined Google's tablet thrust in the current year and killed any hopes that the 7-inch and 10-1-inch tablet siblings of the upcoming Nexus 8 will be on hand soon.
The apparent re-focus by Google, however, seems to makes sense as market watchers started pointing to mid-sized slates as the new standard, seemingly sparked by the rollout in late 2013 of the slimmed down 9.7-inch iPad Air from Apple.
Basing on sales numbers by the end of December 2013, the iPad Air has regained its stature as the top tablet money-maker from Apple, snatching back that honour from the 7.9-inch iPad Mini.
So it appears now that Google is pouring its tablet energy and resources on the Nexus 8, which has a screen profile and likely a body-build - expected to be thin and light - that can slug it out with the sexy, powerful and hot-selling iPad Air.
For now, however, the actual make of the HTC-built Nexus 8 remains a mystery though Android fans can easily visualise a vanilla Android-powered slate that is the scaled up version of the critically acclaimed HTC One M8.
Should that be the case, then the next Nexus tablet like the HTC One before it will be wrapped in a metallic casing that serves not only as a stunning skin but also a tough covering for its high-end components inside.
And the hardware inside could be nothing short of the superlatives - likely headlined by a 64-bit Snapdragon processing chip, an equally powerful GPU that fires up the 2K display resolution packed with the 8.9-inch frame, massive battery for longer operating hours, higher built-in memory and generous RAM provisions.
Note that the above Nexus 8 attributes all measure up with the overall iPad Air capabilities.
Lastly, on its release date - the countdown of which should start on July 2014 - the Google Nexus 8 will most likely run on the latest Android, which according to reports would be build 4.5 or 5.0.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report