‘Sons of Anarchy’ Kurt Sutter Reveals the Hardest Character to Kill Off, Clue: It’s not Tara [VIDEO]
By Riza Ornos | April 22, 2014 8:11 AM EST
On his recent interview with Larry King, FX "Sons of Anarchy" series creator Kurt Sutter revealed the hardest character to kill off after six seasons of running the show. Now on its seventh and final season, SOA show runner finally revealed that killing Opie Winston, Jax's best friend, is the hardest part of letting go of a character.
There is no doubt that the FX biker drama series is one of TV's most violent shows; people get burned alive, stabbed to death by crucifixes and shot by someone they considered family. When it comes to Opie, he was beaten to death in prison in front of his brothers in the club in the show's season 4.
According to Sutter on his interview with TVLine, he first considered the ending of Opie's character during season 3 and his fate was sealed when his father died thanks to Clay. "I got to the end of that season and realized there is this circular dynamic happening with, and Opie that I felt was very difficult to get out of," Sutter explained.
With Opie's death Sutter is planning something elaborate that will warm up the next episodes of the show. "Jax needed that emotional upheaval, that one event that happens in a mans life that can change the course of his destiny - the death of his best friend was [that]," he continued.
When asked how he delivered to Ryan Hurst the bad news, Sutter disclosed that it's a difficult thing to do since Hurst is so invested to the show and loves his character. But after he explained the reason behind his character's death Hurst understood the importance of his exit in the mythology of the show.
"It's not a death that will happen in vain. Of course there'll be a sense of vengeance, something that drives out guys to retaliate, but also the emotional impact that his death will have on the rest of the characters will always be there," he added.
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 will be back on FX this September.
See Kurt Sutter's Q & A here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date