Analyst Confirms Apple iPhone 6 "Phablet" Release Soon as 12-inch MacBook and iPad Air 2 Come
By Precious Silva | April 22, 2014 7:49 AM EST
Apple has been the subject of the rumor mill following predictions about the iPhone 6 and the 12-inch MacBook. The tech giant was further pushed into the spotlight following forecasts about its 12.9-inch iPad. This time, Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities shares his thoughts about Apple's upcoming releases. The analyst remains convinced about Apple's launch of the iPhone 6, 12-inch MacBook and new iPad Air 2.
Apple Inc CEO Tim Cook speaks about the new iPad Air and the iPad mini with Retnia display during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013.
According to the analysts, people should expect to release a 5.5-inch iPhone 6 phablet, iPad Air and 12-inch MacBook Air soon. In the middle of these forecasts is Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities. The analyst with proven track record of Apple's releases revealed his thoughts and more productions in a recent note.
iPhone 6 Phablet
With the countless reports about the phablet edition of the iPhone 6, this part of Kuo's report is the least surprisingly. The analyst emphasized that he remains convinced Apple will release two version of the iPhone 6: one 4.7 model and one 5.5-inch model.
Kuo added details saying that the 5.5-inch model will be offered as a phablet. It should be released around the "holiday quarter." The analyst also believes that the iPhone 6 phablet will trump iPad Mini sales. The device will sport a bigger battery offering "50% to 70% more watt-hours" compared to the iPhone 5s.
iPad Air 2
According to Kuo, the refreshed iPad Air may feature an improved Touch ID system and a new Apple A8 processor. The iPad Air 2 will be released earlier this year compared to the previous model. The first generation iPad Air came out in November. Kuo predicted the iPad Air 2 release around third quarter.
There are no added details provided about the A8 processor. Nonetheless, analysts expect the tech giant to come up with a "desktop-class" 64-bit computing approach to push the A8 processor to the next level. According to a report by J.P. Morgan's Rod Hall, the A8 processor should outperform Intel's power-efficient Core i5 processors.
Kuo also shared his thoughts about the upcoming MacBook line. This time, he thinks Apple will finally give the Retina treatment to the Air series although the model will come in 12-inch format. The laptop may feature a fanless design plus a new trackpad. According to the analyst:
"We expect the unprecedented 12 [inch] model will boast both the portability of the 11 [inch] model, and productivity of the 13 [inch] model. The high resolution display will also offer the outstanding visual experience of the Retina MacBook Pro. The offering will likely be lighter and slimmer than the existing MacBook Air to further highlight ease of portability in the cloud computing era."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet