NBA News: Jackson Fires Mike Woodson; Steve Kerr Next Head Coach of the New York Knicks?
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:58 AM EST
Phil Jackson’s first major move as the New York Knicks team president is to fire head coach Mike Woodson, who failed to bring the club to a postseason appearance in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at New York Knicks
Woodson, and his entire staff, got the boot according to a report from Mark J. Spears of Yahoo Sports early Monday.
The Knicks went a mediocre 37-45 this year, 9th place in the weak Eastern Conference.
Woodson’s firing is expected to be the first of many changes in the Knicks camp under Jackson, who has led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple titles in the 1990s and 2000s.
Woodson served as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks (1996-1999); Cleveland Cavaliers (1999-2001); Philadelphia 76ers (2001-2003); and Detroit Pistons (2003-2004) before landing a head coaching gig with the Atlanta Hawks (2004-2010).
He handled the Knicks in 2012 and accumulated a 315-365 win-loss record as a head coach in the NBA.
Jackson is reportedly looking to hire former player Steve Kerr for the head coaching position and the player-turned-analyst is said to be interested in the Big Apple gig.
“If he’s offered the job, he’s definitely going to do it,” according to a report from the New York Post last Friday.
Kerr, a known sharp-shooter during his prime, played under Phil Jackson and was part of the Bulls’ second three-peat from 1996 to 1998.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air