NBA News: Jackson Fires Mike Woodson; Steve Kerr Next Head Coach of the New York Knicks?
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:58 AM EST
Phil Jackson’s first major move as the New York Knicks team president is to fire head coach Mike Woodson, who failed to bring the club to a postseason appearance in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at New York Knicks
Woodson, and his entire staff, got the boot according to a report from Mark J. Spears of Yahoo Sports early Monday.
The Knicks went a mediocre 37-45 this year, 9th place in the weak Eastern Conference.
Woodson’s firing is expected to be the first of many changes in the Knicks camp under Jackson, who has led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple titles in the 1990s and 2000s.
Woodson served as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks (1996-1999); Cleveland Cavaliers (1999-2001); Philadelphia 76ers (2001-2003); and Detroit Pistons (2003-2004) before landing a head coaching gig with the Atlanta Hawks (2004-2010).
He handled the Knicks in 2012 and accumulated a 315-365 win-loss record as a head coach in the NBA.
Jackson is reportedly looking to hire former player Steve Kerr for the head coaching position and the player-turned-analyst is said to be interested in the Big Apple gig.
“If he’s offered the job, he’s definitely going to do it,” according to a report from the New York Post last Friday.
Kerr, a known sharp-shooter during his prime, played under Phil Jackson and was part of the Bulls’ second three-peat from 1996 to 1998.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage