NBA News: Jackson Fires Mike Woodson; Steve Kerr Next Head Coach of the New York Knicks?
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:58 AM EST
Phil Jackson’s first major move as the New York Knicks team president is to fire head coach Mike Woodson, who failed to bring the club to a postseason appearance in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at New York Knicks
Woodson, and his entire staff, got the boot according to a report from Mark J. Spears of Yahoo Sports early Monday.
The Knicks went a mediocre 37-45 this year, 9th place in the weak Eastern Conference.
Woodson’s firing is expected to be the first of many changes in the Knicks camp under Jackson, who has led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple titles in the 1990s and 2000s.
Woodson served as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks (1996-1999); Cleveland Cavaliers (1999-2001); Philadelphia 76ers (2001-2003); and Detroit Pistons (2003-2004) before landing a head coaching gig with the Atlanta Hawks (2004-2010).
He handled the Knicks in 2012 and accumulated a 315-365 win-loss record as a head coach in the NBA.
Jackson is reportedly looking to hire former player Steve Kerr for the head coaching position and the player-turned-analyst is said to be interested in the Big Apple gig.
“If he’s offered the job, he’s definitely going to do it,” according to a report from the New York Post last Friday.
Kerr, a known sharp-shooter during his prime, played under Phil Jackson and was part of the Bulls’ second three-peat from 1996 to 1998.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6