NBA News: Jackson Fires Mike Woodson; Steve Kerr Next Head Coach of the New York Knicks?
By James Patrick Quizon | April 22, 2014 2:58 AM EST
Phil Jackson’s first major move as the New York Knicks team president is to fire head coach Mike Woodson, who failed to bring the club to a postseason appearance in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at New York Knicks
Woodson, and his entire staff, got the boot according to a report from Mark J. Spears of Yahoo Sports early Monday.
The Knicks went a mediocre 37-45 this year, 9th place in the weak Eastern Conference.
Woodson’s firing is expected to be the first of many changes in the Knicks camp under Jackson, who has led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple titles in the 1990s and 2000s.
Woodson served as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks (1996-1999); Cleveland Cavaliers (1999-2001); Philadelphia 76ers (2001-2003); and Detroit Pistons (2003-2004) before landing a head coaching gig with the Atlanta Hawks (2004-2010).
He handled the Knicks in 2012 and accumulated a 315-365 win-loss record as a head coach in the NBA.
Jackson is reportedly looking to hire former player Steve Kerr for the head coaching position and the player-turned-analyst is said to be interested in the Big Apple gig.
“If he’s offered the job, he’s definitely going to do it,” according to a report from the New York Post last Friday.
Kerr, a known sharp-shooter during his prime, played under Phil Jackson and was part of the Bulls’ second three-peat from 1996 to 1998.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories