Boxer Rubin Carter from Bob Dylan’s “Hurricane” Song Dies at 76
By Shruthi SU | April 21, 2014 8:52 PM EST
Former US professional boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, who spent 19 years in prison for being wrongly convicted for triple murder, died in Toronto on Sunday, at the age of 76, according to Canadian media reports.
Carter died of complications from prostate cancer, according to what John Artis, a longtime friend, told The Canadian Press.
Carter has been immortalised as a symbol of hope against racial injustice. He was convicted in 1966 in his native New Jersey and again with Artis in 1967. He was sent back to prison in 1976, only to be released in November 1985 for the lack of fair trial.
His life inspired Bob Dylan's 1975 song "Hurricane'' after which Carter became a global hero. Several books and other works have also come out as a record of his life and times, including the 1999 film "The Hurricane" starring Denzel Washington, who received an Academy Award nomination for playing the boxer-turned-prisoner.
If nothing, Carter's life has been eventful to say the least. As a teenager in New Jersey, he served a few custodial sentences for assault and robbery, and spent two years in the army.
"The kindest thing I have to say about my childhood is that I survived it," Carter said in his 1974 autobiography titled "The Sixteenth Round".
He turned professional in the year 1961 and soon earned his first world title fight against world champion Joey Giardello in 1964 as a middleweight boxer.
After being freed in 1985, Carter worked closely with the Toronto-based Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted as an executive director. In 2004, he grew apart from the association but continued to work for the cause.
"I always remember spending hours and hours with Rubin talking about the wrongful convictions," Win Wahrer, the director of client services for the Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted, told CNN. "He was a great mentor and teacher. I felt very fortunate to have those times with him. He lived a very full life."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims