Lyrid Meteor Shower 2014: Shooting Stars Light Up Sky; Watch Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 21, 2014 7:12 PM EST
Post Lunar Eclipse or blood moon, stargazers will witness another celestial event this week. The annual Lyrid meteor shower will be active from 16 April to 25 April.
One of the best displays of fireballs can be seen in the Geminid meteor shower. (Photo: Nasa).
The meteor shower also known as shooting stars will peak on the night of 21 and 22 April. The shooting stars will be visible on the night of Earth Day 2014.
However, there are possibilities that the bright moon, also called as waning gibbous moon, will wash out some Lyrid meteors this year. Lyrid meteors have to be bright enough to overcome the moonlight during the peak time, EarthSky.org reported.
Lyrid meteor shower is among the oldest known showers of all and the records of this shower go back for some 2,700 years, the website reported.
Meteor shower will be the fourth celestial event that will take place in April after Mars Opposition, Mars Coming Close and Total Lunar Eclipse.
During the peak time, the maximum shooting stars activity will be witnessed with over 20 meteors an hour expected to cross the sky. The best viewing of the showers peak will be midnight few hours before the dawn on Tuesday.
Stargazers in Northern Hemisphere will witness a better show this year compared to Southern Hemisphere.
For those who are unable to view the showers through naked eyes due to clouds can watch the event live online.
NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama, USA, will provide the Live Ustream of the Lyrid meteor shower. The live coverage of the Lyrids will begin at around 8:30 p.m. EDT/7:30 p.m. CDT and it can viewed online here.
Also, Slooh will be broadcasting the event live on their official YouTube page. Watch the video here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales