Lyrid Meteor Shower 2014: Shooting Stars Light Up Sky; Watch Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 21, 2014 7:12 PM EST
Post Lunar Eclipse or blood moon, stargazers will witness another celestial event this week. The annual Lyrid meteor shower will be active from 16 April to 25 April.
One of the best displays of fireballs can be seen in the Geminid meteor shower. (Photo: Nasa).
The meteor shower also known as shooting stars will peak on the night of 21 and 22 April. The shooting stars will be visible on the night of Earth Day 2014.
However, there are possibilities that the bright moon, also called as waning gibbous moon, will wash out some Lyrid meteors this year. Lyrid meteors have to be bright enough to overcome the moonlight during the peak time, EarthSky.org reported.
Lyrid meteor shower is among the oldest known showers of all and the records of this shower go back for some 2,700 years, the website reported.
Meteor shower will be the fourth celestial event that will take place in April after Mars Opposition, Mars Coming Close and Total Lunar Eclipse.
During the peak time, the maximum shooting stars activity will be witnessed with over 20 meteors an hour expected to cross the sky. The best viewing of the showers peak will be midnight few hours before the dawn on Tuesday.
Stargazers in Northern Hemisphere will witness a better show this year compared to Southern Hemisphere.
For those who are unable to view the showers through naked eyes due to clouds can watch the event live online.
NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama, USA, will provide the Live Ustream of the Lyrid meteor shower. The live coverage of the Lyrids will begin at around 8:30 p.m. EDT/7:30 p.m. CDT and it can viewed online here.
Also, Slooh will be broadcasting the event live on their official YouTube page. Watch the video here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date