Lok Sabha Elections 2014: AP Tops in Electoral Corruption Accounting for 46 Percent of ₹236 Crore Seized
By Rama Mohan | April 21, 2014 6:42 PM EST
Almost half of the cash seized in the entire country during this election season is from Andhra Pradesh. The Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said that police and election officials have seized a total of ₹232 crore in the country, since 5 March, 2014, out of which ₹105 crore is (or 46 per cent) from Andhra Pradesh alone.
Telangana & Seemandhra
Sampath has expressed concerns over the enormous electoral corruption in the state.
On 5 March, the Election Commission (EC) announced the general elections in the country and since then ₹105 crore has been seized in AP by the patrolling police and election officials, Sampath said, while reviewing the election preparations in AP on 19 April, according to various media reports.
Polls are going to be held in Andhra Pradesh on 30 April and 7 May, simultaneously for both Lok Sabha and the State Assembly. This Lok Sabha and Assembly election will become the last poll to be held in the united AP, as Telangana will be carved out as a separate state on 2 June.
After seizing the sizeable amount, the EC has intensified patrolling in the state to keep a check on cash flow during this election season, the EC Commissioner said.
The EC has also asked banks to furnish details of accounts wherever suspicious transactions were found.
Meanwhile, it is reported that activists of Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) have attacked Nara Lokesh, son of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief Nara Chandrababu Naidu, on Sunday at an election road show in Maheboobnagar district in Telangana region.
One of the activists threw bottles at Lokesh when he was about to address the road show from the top of his campaign vehicle. However, security guards around Lokesh stood around him and warded off the attack. However, TDP's Lok Sabha candidate of Nagar Kurnool Bakkani Narsimhulu was injured.
Police arrested the attacker who threw the bottles and the enraged TDP supporters torched the car of the TRS activist.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools